Canned mixed with raw? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Canned mixed with raw?

Hello,
I saw this mentioned a few places of here and was wondering which cans used and exactly how this is done (recipe/s to mix with it). I have a kitten and would like to learn about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Premier Cat

Hello,

I do both canned and raw. No recipe, really. I just buy my choice of canned food from my local independent pet store, add 1 tablespoon hot water, mix. Then top off with another 2 oz of commercial raw. I guess you could say I use the canned portion as sort of a gravy? I do use a kitchen scale so I can measure out equal portions for both kitties.

Lately, I've started warming the food up in my toaster oven on low heat for 3-5 minutes, enough to take the chill off. I think it helps because some cats are sensitive to cold foods, which could make them vomit it back up if eaten too quickly. The aroma of slightly heated food also helps their appetite during mealtimes, and I think I also remember something a holistic vet recommended I do for one of my cats with persistent dandruff? Not sure on the dandruff quite yet, so don't quote me just yet.

My only advise to you when converting your kitten is to try and put some probiotics in the wet food when you start introducing raw into their diet. Kittens are usually predisposed to having diarrhea with food changes, so even if he/she has been dewormed, it could happen. Probiotics can help with that.

Make sure you read up well on the raw diet (whichever you choose) and be prepared for a wonderful, energetic kitten on your hands! And less odiferous litterboxes!

Last edited by TabbCatt; 06-13-2015 at 02:23 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I went to my local store and picked up Primal turkey- I started her on half a nugget mixed with her Nulo canned for dinner (added Wholistic Digest-All and L-lysine) and she licked her bowl completely clean. I'm going to be adding more slowly but will take this as a good sign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:26 AM
Premier Cat

Oh good! Kittens are usually game to eat anything while they are young, so please offer your kitten a variety of canned foods in various textures, flavors, and brands, too. You just never know when Nulo will change its formulation and your kitty will know the difference and refuse to eat anything else!

The other thing about raw, make sure you rotate various types of proteins, too. So many people make the mistake thinking feeding their pet only raw chicken or turkey exclusively for a long time is perfectly fine, not realizing they need to have a more rounded diet from other proteins. I guess it's like you yourself only eating veggies and fruits, and then suddenly you find out you're deficient in B12 vitamin and feel ill?

Anyway, I usually mix up my proteins week to week since I buy commercial raw. I know Primal has several other proteins available, so it could be well worth a try, or perhaps using other commercial brands, or giving your kitty the occasional chicken wing for dental care. Some pet stores will even offer free samples or have a good return policy if it doesn't work out. If your pet store is like mine, they are a wonderful source of knowledgeable people who can definitely give you good pointers on a lot of things regarding your pet.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. BTW, what is the name of your kitten?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Her name is Fae (about 8 weeks)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	88578  

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Cat Addict

If your kitty (and Fae is ADORABLE!) likes the Primal Turkey, I would highly suggest the Rabbit protein as well! These two proteins are my trios absolute favorites, and they will do anything for them!

As far as canned and raw, I do the meals separately. My girl Samantha has some seriously serious issues when it comes to food (not as far as eating it, as she'll eat ANYTHING, but digesting it is another story...). Samantha is terrible...she requires a different protein and texture each meal...and because I'm wrapped around her adorable little paws, I cater to her (and that obviously extends to Alice and Jules as well, lol!). If we have a can, it's doled out, and served immediately. If it's raw, I take the defrosted meat from the fridge, portion it into bowls, and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes before serving. I'm terrified of cooking the bone, so I do not heat the raw in any other source than natural air, and Sammy will throw up the food if it's too cold (ie: right out of the fridge). So win-win for us.

As for brands that I use, for raw it's Primal, Answers, Vital Essentials, Stella & Chewy's, and Rad Cat. For canned, lately it's been exclusively Mauri.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you! I got the 3lbs. Of the frozen turkey and next month I was planning on getting the rabbit too. So far I just mix half and half of Nulo canned w/ the raw. She really likes it and eats it up I have not heated it- just add a bit of warm water.

Last edited by marie73; 07-21-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page