30 days in and now we have a problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

30 days in and now we have a problem

we are 30 days in on our raw diet and WOW have we had amazing results! we went raw because of some serious never ending tummy troubles...she had diarrhea for months on end and within less than a week of transitioning we had a perfect poop and have had nothing but perfect poops ever since! its been a real life changer and I'm so happy for my baby girl. the only issues we had was after a few days of her loving and eating up the Rad Cat lamb she started throwing it up so we switched to turkey and its been smooth sailing ever since. she also gets very small amounts, usually when I go to work, of Natures Variety raw boost kibble and has LOVED that as well.

HOWEVER...suddenly she doesn't want to eat any of it. I thought, and still do, that something is going on in her mouth...she smacks her lips randomly, makes strange chewing faces for no reason and if you scratch on the right side of her face it makes her do those things as well. we went to the vet yesterday and since there wasn't anything obvious he could see his only suggestion was 3 days of anti inflammatory to possibly give her some relief if there's a tooth problem and get her to eat...then $300-$400 of dental exam/xrays/cleaning to see where the real problem lies.

later in the afternoon yesterday she actually ate some raw and some kibble, not much but I was happy as a clam she ate more than she had in the past couple of days. maybe the anti inflammatory helped? heck if I know. the thing is, she WANTS to eat...she knows the words "hungry" "dinner" and "treat" and if I ask her if she wants any of that she meows and runs to the kitchen but as soon as I put down the food she barely licks it but wont eat it. I've gotten a fresh batch out of the freezer, I've added a bit of her old usual fancy feast to it, I went and got the chicken kind of Rad Cat raw and again, she acts like she wants to eat but wont eat.

so, at my wits end (God help me I'm an over worrying type) this morning and after throwing out another batch of raw turkey with a little fancy feast on top, I gave her JUST her old fancy feast and she ate it all! licked the bowl clean! what the heck?! so am I dealing with a health problem or an attitude problem here?? don't get me wrong I do think she has something going on in her mouth and we will get her dental exam done this week (not that I can afford it) but if she is able to eat the fancy feast she is certainly able to eat the raw food so...what is going on here? is it common for a cat to just straight decide they don't want the raw diet after 30 days of loving it? this seems nuts to me.

any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Madi & Mommy

Last edited by marie73; 06-28-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Cool Cat

It sounds like maybe there is something bothering her but not bothering her enough to have her avoid the coveted Fancy Feast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I started to mix about half fancy feast and half raw and she's eating that, which is a little better than zero raw I hope...I just do not want her tummy troubles to come back! maybe I just have to get her over the mouth problem and she'll go back to all raw.

I have posted elsewhere on the mouth issues to see if I can find some relief for my worrying mind. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page