PMR feeders only - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

PMR feeders only

Hi all,

I'm going to try PMR for my cats but would like to know your weekly menus. I've looked at old threads but I don't see much info on this topic unfortunately, and would love to get ideas for my two cats.

I am also curious how you prepare their food and store them; what is your process? Do you use baggies, plastic containers, etc? How do you cut their meats? Using kitchen shears, knives, etc. The more details you provide, all the better!

I've been doing some research of my own too, but any additional help from here is welcome and very much appreciated. My two are currently fed a mix of canned + commercial raw, but do get occasional chunks now and then. Maya loves raw more than anything but gulps her food and finishes her meals within 2 minutes! G, alas, is the slowest eater, and sometimes Maya will eat half his meals if I'm not there to guard his food. I know, I will have to seperate them during mealtimes. Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

When I fed raw (frankenprey) here's how it went. I used an 80/10/5/5 split. 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% secreting organ, and 5% non secreting organ.

Three meals per day and on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday they ate bone and muscle meat and one of those days I would add an egg yolk. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday they got muscle meat and organs. Sunday was muscle meat with the mid day meal sardines packed in water instead of meat.

I prepared the food once a month. I purchased plastic tubs and wrote a name on each.

I would take 7 gallon freezer bags (x2 one for each cat) and wrote the days of the week on them.

Then I'd use the Ziploc little snack bags (the little short stumpy ones) and wrote the days of the week and which cat got that bag. I'd start with Monday, however many Mondays were in that month and open them up, so I wasn't trying to handle the bag with bloody hands.

I cut up all the meat, organs, and separated the chicken wings. The drummetes of the wings I tossed in a baggie for myself, they were usually too big for them. If they weren't then I'd use them. Pro-tip: cut up the organs last. Liver leaves a big 'old mess on the cutting board and gets all over the other meats. I used my regular Wustoff knives.

The cut up meat went into bowls and I set up an assembly line. Opened baggies, bowls of meat surrounding the scale (wrap it in saran wrap to keep it from getting gross from bloody fingers), then space for the filled opened baggies. Once I measured out all of Monday I washed my hands, closed the baggies, and put them in the larger bag named Monday. That filled large baggie got stood up in the tub. Each day of the week followed the same way until the month was done. Tub in freezer and on to the other cat.

Each night before I warmed the last meal, I would put the next days in a bowl in the fridge to thaw overnight. Each meal I eyeballed it and spooned put 1/3 of the food in the baggie into their dish to warm. I also tried to be mindful not to overload one meal with all organ or all bone.

Hopefully that all makes sense....

Last edited by MowMow; 07-19-2015 at 01:43 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks so much, MowMow.

Do you recall what your meats and organs specifically consisted of? I remember you feeding quail, but not much else, lol. I do know livers tend to be bloody, just because I've got a bunch of chicken livers and I realized I purchased waaaay too much. Is kidney the same?

Currently, I'm thinking of feeding my two twice a day using pork, chicken, beef, lamb, duck, and maybe turkey... cats not too fond of turkey, but I've not tried turkey legs yet, so there's hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Premier Cat

I fed beef or pork liver and lamb or pork kidney. Those were readily available at a local market. One pack of lamb kidneys lasted 2 months. One pack of pork lasted 3 months. Liver went a little bit further.

Remember to buy a little extra muscle meat for handing out while you're packaging. My boys all lined up on the bar and leeaaaannnnneeeeeddd as far as they were allowed.

I used to feed straight frankenprey to Mow and Book.... then MowMOw started vomiting up all his raw food. Thats when I backed him off and onto canned with the quail to supplement. Then it was just Book. When Neelix came it was too expensive to feed them both raw. Especially with how much Neelix consumes(d).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

So sorry to hear MowMow's IBD flaring up. Ugh, can't be fun. G tends to be extra sensitive to cold foods, so I've learned to warm it up in the toaster oven on the lowest setting, similar to your method if I recall correctly. He still only eats 1/3 to 1/2 of his food, and takes him sometimes 2 hours to finish it off, usually with me prompting by using freeze dried meats as toppers--rabbit of course.

I've never bought kidney yet, but am considering buying some lamb kidney. I haven't seen much other secreting organ meats besides brain, and from my readings, it's not popular with some cats.

I do plan on buying most of the meats to be from my local supermarkets, maybe some Asian groceries to find some exotics if I have to. One of them seem to list their suppliers at least, so I know it's not from China!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Premier Cat

Our local gourmet grocer (Market of Choice, I don't think they extend to Wa) uses locally sources (Painted Hills) beef, lamb, and pork. So I always felt safe. The pork made me nervous, but since I freeze it anyway.....

MowMow still gets 1.5 of of their beef each night. That small amount an hour after his Pepcid usually stays down. More than that, it comes back to me. It's the only way I can get probiotics down him, he refuses canned if it's mixed in but their flank steak is irresistible to him (for now).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh, good to know MowMow still gets some raw.

Perhaps next time I head down south to OR, I'll remember to check it out!

Btw, I've read that feeding raw pork from the supermarket is perfectly safe, no worries of parasites or other contaminants, and just make sure all the meats you buy do not have extra sodium pumped in, look for 80 mg (or less? I think.) These guys have been feeding raw for many years, some 20+ and have never had ill effects on their cats. They usually feed straight from the fridge, the only time they freeze is for storage. You'll only want to freeze meats that are wild game. (I've recently joined the raw cat yahoo forum, but these guys are pretty hard core! They don't like ground, commercial raw, or canned of any kind! Just fyi... ) Learning a lot though.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Premier Cat

I've never been able to feed MowMow commercial raw. Ever. He's instantly vomittd up every single variety I've tried at every imaginable temperature....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Ugh. I can't imagine. It's bad enough G has vomitted his share of food over the almost 2 years I've had him, but it's also because he chews plastics (like saran wrap or baggies) or other questionables since he was a kitten. I'm fortunate he has not had any real ill effects from it, other than maybe an irritated bowel for only a few days at worst.

Anyone else doing PMR out there? I'd love to hear more from everyone--newbies to experienced veterans of PMR even for dogs! Out of curiousity, of course. I know canines require less proteins than felines, but it would still be interesting to hear and know what others do--especially how you divide food for the week or so. The food prep and menus are things I'm most interested in.

Thanks for reading, folks!

Last edited by TabbCatt; 07-19-2015 at 11:02 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:57 AM
Premier Cat

Hi TC!
I know we've got more Raw Feeders here...
If I only had two or three cats, I may have tried this!
But between, my crazy work schedule, and so many kitties now...I'd be in the kitchen full time...just fixing their meals!
S.

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page