Rad Cat raw food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Rad Cat raw food?

Hi, I just switched my senior cat over to the raw food diet on Rad Cat a few months ago. She loves and her skin/coat look much better. Is Rad Cat a good brand of raw food? Are there better brands out there for the same price?

{Time spent with cats is never wasted.} Sigmund Freud

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Premier Cat

Rad Cat seems to be quite popular and sold in a lot of independent pet shops. When I first tried the chicken and turkey formulas last year though, my cats reluctantly ate it. When I offered the lamb, it was a no-go. I could tell they didn't care for it as much as another brand that's local to my area, so I've mainly stuck with the other brand instead.

Cat's opinion aside, I think it's pretty good food considering there are no fruits or vegetables, one of the things I was looking for in commercial raw. It's also very, very moist so it will keep a kitty hydrated, especially one that doesn't like to drink water.

As for other brands? I think it depends on your location and pet store, so I can't help you there. I don't know if it's cheaper, but brands I'm familiar with are Primal, Smallbatch, Nature's Variety, Vital Essentials and Honest Kitchen. They are all ground.

I've found my cats prefer to eat small chunks of chicken or turkey instead, so I'm currently trying a PMR diet which is definitely cheaper than commercial raw but requires more work--cutting up, weighing portions and dividing them up ahead of time. I'm using various meats in addition to chicken and turkey to provide more rounded nutrition. It seems dark meats are better for cats, I'm told.

Anyway, I'm glad your senior is doing well on Rad Cat. Just make sure you keep checking her gums and teeth, since the ground texture really does nothing for her dental health.

Hopefully other raw feeders will chime in soon. Good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you! I'll probably keep her on Rad Cat since it's not very expensive at my local pet store.

{Time spent with cats is never wasted.} Sigmund Freud

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Grey!
Like TC mentioned about teeth health, you could try and see if she would chew on raw chicken wing tips...that would help exercise her jaws, and help clean her teeth!
Hopefully other's will have ideas for you!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Rad Cat is a great food and is actually one of the more expensive commercial raw foods for cats. It is one of the few that come in tubs, the others are pellets or medallions. I own a pet food store and sell Instinct, Primal and Rad Cat...it seems that the cats like the Rad Cat best. I think it's the difference in texture...soupy compared to the other brands that are formed. Although it could be the lack of veggies. I used to sell Vital Essentials which also came in a tub, but they have discontinued it.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 08:54 AM
Senior Cat

Personally I buy from Hare Today, which sells bone-meat-organ mixes (I buy the Fine Ground, not Coarse Ground) and I mix in my own nutrition packets I buy from Alnutrin.

https://www.hare-today.com/

It looks like, just as an example, a pound of Rad Cat chicken is ~$11 on one of the online stores, whereas a pound of Hare Today chicken is $2.99, and factor in the 75 cents for one pound's worth of Alnutrin.

However, you have to buy ONLINE for Hare Today, and the shipping is hugely expensive. I buy 20 or so pounds of meat at once when I order from them, but it's still expensive and inconvenient, AND you have to mix the nutrients in yourself. I'm okay with this, and my elderly cat (17 years old with kidney failure, IBS, and hypertension) is doing magnificently on it, so it's worth it to me.

Before I switched to Hare Today, I used Feline's Pride and Rad Cat. Feline's Pride is more expensive than Rad Cat, though, and I'm not sure you can find Feline's Pride in stores.

I think Rad Cat is great, as it doesn't have pointless vegetables or fruits or grains in it, and it doesn't have CLAY in it like Nature's Variety (I don't think my obligate carnivore cat is supposed to have CLAY in her diet!)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Cat

I've heard nothing but good things about Rad Cat from other raw feeders. I had actually considered trying it for the kittens, but even with just 2 cats, it would be far too expensive for us right now.

But price aside, it's definitely an excellent option. And, as suggested above, you can try to offer a bit of bone in their diet to help keep those teeth pearly white.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Cat

I just recently started buying rad cat. all 3 of my cats love the chicken and turkey...but won't go near the lamb, beef, or venison. It is very expensive, so I can't feed them that solely. It's roughly $10.50 for a 24oz tub. I can only feed them 1 meal a day on it so far...and sometimes I skip a day. I love that the chicken is organic...although that's not the reason I wanted to try it. I love the convenience of it too. I kind of hate to throw out the tubs....but being plastic, I'm afraid it would harbor bacteria.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtech View Post
It's roughly $10.50 for a 24oz tub.
That price is way too low for a 24 oz tub, that's the price for the 16 oz. If that's what the store is charging, they've made a mistake.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page