Fickle Kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Fickle Kitten

I am just at wits end trying to understand my cat, Jaspers, food choices!

When I first got him from the breeder she said he was used to eating raw chicken, so I bought some raw chicken, chicken heart and liver and fed it to him with zero results. At first I thought it was because he was new but as time went on I got more and more worried. I tried everything, changing his bowl to a plate so his whiskers don't get in the way, mixing in a little can which he wouldn't touch at all, different types of meats, nothing. This is my first kitten and I wanted to go raw but I also wanted him to live so I switched him to dry food, and when that worked I switched him to canned then finally back to raw.

I really want him to be raw as when he is eating raw I don't have to worry about diarrhea sticking to his long fur which happened a lot when he was on canned and dry. It all seemed to work perfectly for about a week until this morning I served him some kidney, rabbit, a small piece of gizzard (as something to chew on), two hearts, and liver; about 3 ounces all together. All of those things he has eaten before and liked, none of them he will touch now. I really don't understand at all. My freezer is starting to become crowded from all the different raw foods I have tried to get him to eat and just when he is starting to eat them all without question, he drops it cold turkey once more! Ugh...

I'll try and see if he'll eat pork for lunch, it was what got him back on raw in the first place, maybe it can work again for me but have any of you experienced this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Premier Cat

My boy Zuba will eat raw food of most any kind; his half-sister Alkee will not touch any at all. I keep trying from time to time to give her raw food, but she will not eat it. Both of my cats are 11 yrs. old. Hope someone else has more experience with raw feeding and can give you some suggestions.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for your response. I finally took him to the vet after 3-4 days without food plus he started vomiting stomach acid. She gave him an antibiotic, injected him with some liquids because he was dehydrated and told me to call her in 48 hours. I was worried about his liver but she said that was more common in overweight cats and not to worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page