Extremely High Sodium Chicken? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Extremely High Sodium Chicken?

For the past 3 weeks I have been researching about changing my cats diet to raw food but one thing really concerns me. Everywhere I read that sodium should not surpass 24 mg of sodium, but even untreated chicken has 70 mg of sodium in just 4 oz which from what I read could even kill my cat.

I have tried talking to my vet, but they just don't believe in switching to a raw diet, but personally I do and think I just need all the facts which are some times are to get. :3

Can anyone help? I will love you for ever! So will my cat Sock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 PM
Cat

Are you positive that this chicken isn't water chilled in a salt water bath? It's very common these days for inexpensive chicken to be 'brined' in this way. 4 oz of chicken should never be more than 70 mg of sodium. It is also possible that the sodium that is naturally occurring differs from sodium added in the form of sodium chloride, or salt.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:30 AM
Premier Cat

^ that. Many times it's brined or chicken broth soaked.

You need to check the ingredients and shop around a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 01:23 AM
Jr. Cat

You can purchase raw from Hare Today Gone Tomorrow. They have excellent quality and choices of raw and is located in PA. They raise their own chickens.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Premier Cat

Avoid labels that read "enhanced" meats. Don't fall for that "natural" labeling either. Always read the Nutrition Facts label if in doubt. Look for better quality chicken/meats in a nice grocery store (like Whole Foods) or even a food coop where possible. Feeding organic meats will be costly, they are never enhanced, and some are even grass-fed, making the meats even healthier for your cat. Grass fed meats are also higher in omega 3s, saving you the extra money normally spent on fish oil or other sources for EFAs.

Mystery Meat No More? USDA Issues New "Enhanced" Meat Guidelines | Rodale's Organic Life

Unraveling food industry lies - Your chicken is full of liquid fillers and chemicals - NaturalNews.com

Last edited by TabbCatt; 10-01-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page