Rotating commercial raw brands?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
oms
Jr. Cat

Rotating commercial raw brands??

Hello,
My two cats are hooked on Natures Variety Instinct Raw Rabbit Medallions. I have just figured out good portions for each of them as well.
...BUT I would like to rotate with Primal Rabbit Raw (if the cats let me). I feel as though they both are good brands and I would like to rotate if possible due to the higher bone content in NV Instinct.
How does rotating work with their digestion? I always assumed that rotating flavors within one brand was ok but to rotate different brands was bad for their stomach. I have read of others rotating brands though. I have slowly been mixing some Primal bites in with their Instinct medallions to get them used to it. Hopefully they will eat Primal on its own once I am done adjusting them to the different flavor (they can be very picky).
So once I have adjusted them to it I would like to rotate between the two brands if possible.
Is it as easy as switching brands every other day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Senior Cat

Hi oms

I don't think there's a problem with rotating brands, if anything I think it's good for them because different brands have slightly different ratios of meat/bone/organ. If your kitties have never eaten anything but Natures Variety, then I would do like you're doing and introduce it very gradually.. Then slowly increase as they get used to it, and are having good poops

Then I think you can alternate every other day. Others may have some advice for you too
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
oms
Jr. Cat

NV is the first kind of raw food they have eaten. So I'm hoping switching is going well- had some diarrhea from one so I slowed down the process of adjusting to new brand.

I honestly may have gotten the 'don't switch between brands' theory from the horse world lol. I take care of horses and we cannot switch or rotate brands/kinds due to possible colic. Have to do the gradual adjustment to avoid stomach problems. Haha, that is probably why rotating brands raises a red flag to me with the cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Cat

I switch between Primal Raw and Nature's Variety Instinct Raw with no issues. My supplier of Primal Raw has become somewhat unreliable, especially with the rabbit formula, so many times I have no choice but to suddenly switch to the Instinct, and then switch back to the Primal once I have it. No diarrhea or vomiting from my five test subjects!

On a side note, I love the Primal Raw Rabbit. I feed the nuggets that come in the 3lb bag. It's done amazing things for both their fur and their poop. And my cats love it, no issues getting them to eat it here!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Premier Cat

I think sometimes cats can be picky about the food texture. NV medallions were sometimes hit and miss with my two cats. They preferred chunkier meats than the finely ground up that NV offered, so I stuck to my local brand later on. I haven't tried Primal's version, but most times I offered commercial raw, I've had no issues with loose stools. No issues with changing different proteins with different brands, as long as it's a good and balanced mix. It seems it's just G's picky nature about texture is the biggest hurdle with my cat.

To get the kitties to try a new brand, I'd use a small serving of their favorite freeze dried treat as toppers or used a bit of their favorite canned food as a "gravy" after diluting it a bit of water. You could also add probiotics in the gravy at this time, to make food transitions easier on their tummies. Unless the new commercial raw has a lot more organ meats, it shouldn't cause to much problems. If they do get a bit of loose stools, you could alternate rabbit meat (with higher bone content) later in the day as a meal to help balance things, too.

The only times I've had issues with loose stools is when they get a chunk of kidney or liver (since doing PMR), but that is easily remedied with a bit of bone added back in.

Last edited by TabbCatt; 10-15-2015 at 02:59 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
oms
Jr. Cat

Thanks for all of the input. I am so glad that it is ok to rotate!

I bought Primal PRONTO raw rabbit in the bites. Is Pronto different from the regular rabbit nuggets?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Cat

As far as I know, the Pronto and the regular nuggets are very similar in composition... the nuggets are just frozen in larger portions and take longer to thaw. They list all their ingredients on their website, though, if you want to compare. I found that the bags of nuggets were more cost effective than the Pronto, based on the prices from my local pet store, so I haven't tried the Pronto version.

Totally agree with TabbCatt... it's all about the texture with several of my cats. It took well over a month to get my most food-sensitive cat switched over to raw. She is so, so picky about textures. Even now, once in a while I'll get a bag of rabbit from primal that is a slightly different texture than the other bags. The other cats could care less, but my girl would rather starve than eat it. And if I do convince her to eat it, she'll barf it up. Yet she doesn't mind switching between brands. So weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page