Tooth tartar in young cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Tooth tartar in young cat

Hi everyone,
I'm pretty concerned. My cat is about 4 and he eats frankenprey diet (since he was 8 weeks!)... he has a crazy amount of plaque on his back top teeth.. and its been getting noticeably worse... he's so young and he has more tartar then any of my commercially fed cats did growing up. No blackening of the gums, but lots of hard yellow build up.

He gorges on dry food about once a week when my moms dogs come over. He's done this his whole life... Some people say its good to have kibble, some say its bad (in terms of the abrasion for plaque). Either way, its on average once every 1.5 weeks he gets a hold of the stuff.

Im really concerned because its just so much build up. I'm looking for as much advice or articles as possible regarding: am I doing his teeth harm with frankenprey? Should I bring him to the vet for a cleaning- can they really get all of that off and if so, is it worth putting him through the anesthetic?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

Yes you should probably have a dental cleaning done.

My cats are 6& 6.5. I am bringing them both in for a cleaning Fri. The will be the 3rd one for Harli and the 1st one for Lily. I haven't been very good about brushing teeth and am going to be making a better effort on that. Right now I can let them lick off a little of the cat toothpaste and then rub my finger against thier back teeth, but that's just getting the outside of their teeth. I tried using a baby toothbrush, but if I try it on one, the other thinks its a treat and wants it at the same time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Tom Cat

My cat was less than a year old when he needed a dental. When I expressed my surprise the vet said that some cats are just more predisposed to plaque build up regardless of diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Cool Cat

I agree with Marmoset. My Persian Ellie went into the vet a few months ago and the vet said she had noticeable tartar, I was shocked since she was only a year and a half old at the time! My vet said some cats are just more prone to having dental issues, tartar buildup, etc. than other cats. My cat Tootsie is over a year and her teeth are still great (they eat the same diet), so I definitely think it can be an individual cat thing.

I've started brushing my girls teeth to prevent tartar buildup. It's really the only way to truly keep their teeth clean, diet really doesn't make a big difference. Saying dry food cleans cat's teeth is like saying we could keep OUR teeth clean if we eat really crunchy foods... nope, we need to brush ours to keep them clean.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:02 AM
Cool Cat

Hang on, is your cat gorging on dry DOG food?

He absolutely should not be eating any dog food. It's formulated completely differently, both nutritionally and content-wise, than cat food. If you're talking about dry cat food, you should try to keep him away from that as well.

It's completely false that kibble "cleans" their teeth, and it's really bad for them in so many other ways. There's no point to cats eating kibble, and it might be outright harmful for him to eat dog kibble.

You could also possibly be creating future digestive issues, since he normally gets a raw diet, but then suddenly gets a huge meal of crap grains, fillers, and chemicals.

And the plaque build-up is normal. My cat is on a raw diet (not frankenprey, unfortunately, but ground meat/bones/organs) and she still gets plaque build-up. She gets a dental cleaning around once a year. Getting regular dental cleanings will help prevent gum disease and tooth loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you everyone for your replies- this helps. I've gotten quotes for up to $500 for teeth cleaning where I am located...As if its that much. I'll be getting it done and then brushing his teeth on my own.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tooth brushes?

I tend to really agree with Mandy and Ellie about saying kibble cleans teeth is like saying eating crunchy food cleans our teeth but the vet will tell me differently.

Yeah he B-lines for the dogs food when they meet and gets as much of it in his system as he can before we take it away. Gorge may have been a strong word. We dont give it to him willingly or anything.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hey Nan- how did the appointment go for your cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page