raw diet newbie! no grinder - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

raw diet newbie! no grinder

A week or so ago I started giving my 7mo boy some raw chicken thigh meat along with his usual Merrick cans and pumpkin puree. He had soft poo before but since the raw chicken thigh meat, his poop has firmed up very nicely.

Yesterday I got some fresh chicken livers and hearts, super gross!! I washed and froze them right away..very gross, I was gagging the whole time. Today I fed him the usual Merrick wet, pumpkin puree, raw chicken thigh, and I added a small amount of raw liver / heart. He pretty much finished all of the raw meats and left the Merrick wet and pumpkin puree in the bowl.

Questions

1) I am very new to raw diet. If I follow the 80/10/5/5, do I still need to add supplements?

2) I do not have a grinder and do not want to buy one. Can I just cut up my raw meat into smaller bite size chunks?

3) next step is to add bones. since I don't have a grinder, how should I prepare the bones? Are the bones inside chicken wings OK? If I don't know how to prepare the bones, do I need to mix in some calcium supplements?

4) I think I will always give him a scoop of wet food as I am not confident with the nutrition portions of my raw meats. Is this a good way to go? problem is he always picks out the raw and leaves the wet food in the bowl. I'm concerned that I might not be able to get the nutrition formula right. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Cat Addict

I've never had a grinder but have always fed some raw as the mix in the diet of mine - going back ages ago when it wasn't acceptable. The meat I cut into bits - I let them gnaw on hard bones that won't splinter (and they all have good teeth except Lottie who came with a lot of hers missing) - others if I am going to use them, I powder with pestle and mortar.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Senior Cat

1) Nope you don't need to add any supplements, if you do prey model raw. You only need to add supplements (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) if you're not feeding a balanced ratio like that

2) Nope you don't need a grinder either you can just feed in chunks

3) Not so sure about calcium supplements... I think start off with softer bones like chicken wings/legs/necks?

4) Perhaps instead of mixing them in one meal you could do one meal raw, one meal canned?

Hope that helps some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Cat

The only supplements I've ever heard mentioned when it comes to RAW feeding cats is taurine.

For example, I found this snippet here:

Quote:
Third, cats do not have the capability to create taurine from methionine and cysteine, like dogs do.
- What About Cats?

You can definitely add other things, though - I supplement my dog's RAW diet with ACV, probiotics, and coconut/krill oil.

The cats get probiotics and krill oil, too. It's not mandatory, but it is a great addition to their diet nevertheless.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy

Last edited by marie73; 01-03-2016 at 02:46 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Cat Addict

Showing my ignorance - what is krill oil?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I read using powdered eggshells as an alternative to bones is good for cats with renal problems. How about for healthy cats? I eat a ton of eggs and it would be super convenient if I can use eggshells as an alternative to bones!

I'm having the hardest time handling the super Gross livers and hearts, and my kitty had soft stool after eating raw organs for the first time. I have temporarily gone back to combination of Merrick cans and raw chicken thighs.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Cat

It's normal for cats to have diarrhea after being switched to a new diet. (or in this case, adding new things) Especially organ meat, which is very rich. If you didn't already, feeding it in veryyy small amounts at first will probably help. Give her time to build up to the full amount.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Cat Addict

Asking again, what is krill oil? I've never heard of it over here.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Cool Cat

I feed my cat a commercial ground raw, and I supplement it with Alnutrin and taurine:

A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements

I am NOT 100% sure if a cat on a not-ground raw diet also needs the supplements, but I would imagine they do. Not sure how to deal with supplementation on larger chunks either - dust it on? You may want to email Alnutrin and ask for their advice.

But I do believe ALL raw diets need to be supplemented - commercial canned brands add supplements.

If you can stand it, you can also look around for pinkie mice, baby quail, and chicks to supplement the diet and add bone/"fiber" material (the feathers). I give my 17-year-old pinkie mice every once in a while. I haven't been able to transition her to "whole prey", which is why I usually stick to the ground raw which has the proper %s already.

I believe other owners will give chicken necks, ribs, and backs as edible bones for their kitties. I didn't have luck with mine with chicken necks, but your boy might be more willing to try.

Definitely supplement those thighs if that's all the raw he's getting for now - you might want to try Alnutrin with eggshell calcium if he's not getting the bone content he needs.

Arianwen:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutritio...-for-your-pet/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Do I need to supplement his Raws if I continue to give him some merrick cans along with his raw chicken this and hearts/livers in the same meal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page