raw food + fridge temp - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

raw food + fridge temp

Hi,

I'm trying to feed my cat raw food which is commercial product that comes frozen. I want to thaw it in the fridge, but just wanted to make sure I'm doing it safely. I don't eat meat, so this is new to me.

I have a fridge thermometer that I believe to be fairly accurate, and from some tests I've done over the last few days, it seems the temperature in my fridge fluctuates quite a bit.

I've tried to get it to sit between 0-4 celcuis, but it will fluctuate between -4c and +6c. In terms of thawing small packets of raw meat, and storing some half used can food for half a day, would this be cause for concern?

I don't know if it has issues or if it's just a bad fridge, or is that normal? Opening the door obviously has some effect, but it still seems to fluctuate even when closed. I guess the fridge cycles the compressor?

Anyhow, the solid food didn't appear to freeze when it went below 0. If it's refreezing the thawing meat is that an issue, besides obviously taking much longer? I cant really set it to a higher temp, as it was already getting up to 5-6c at times.

Any advice most welcome.... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 04:33 AM
Cool Cat

I buy commercially ground raw and thaw in my fridge. I open my fridge all the time, and I'm sure I have temp fluctuations as well - it's an old fridge.

However, I don't worry about it too much. I thaw the meat for a day or so before it's thawed enough for my cat to eat, and I feed it to her for 3-4 days after that before I throw away whatever's left.

I've bought several different brands of commercial raw and each one has said it's okay to refreeze, so I imagine that it's okay if your batch is refreezing and then rethawing.

I think your fridge is just fine, even with temperature fluctuations, to store canned food for a day or two, and to store thawed raw meat for 3 days or so - I wouldn't go over 3 days, though, IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks. I'm probably overthinking it.

With the fridge fairly loaded, and limiting door openings, it seems the temperature stays more stable.

I'm still not really sure about 'danger zone' I hear about, i.e anything about 4c.
What would be a reasonable amount of time for raw meats to be at the higher temperature before they would become suspect?

I assuming when it has gone above 4c in my fridge it hasn't been for that long before its cooled again. Also my pseudo-scientific guess is this actual food temperature would take slightly longer to warm than the air temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 11:57 PM
Premier Cat

I try to make sure the meats are in smaller portions so that it's not in the fridge too many days. You could divide the meats out in smaller containers, that way it'll thaw in less time and you don't have to worry about spoilage. I don't concern myself with fridge temps, but I do place their food in the back part of the fridge and away from the light bulb.

If it's bad, you'll certainly smell it, or your cat will simply not eat it. If it's in smaller portions already, you'll also have less waste.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Jr. Cat

this is a really good question.

I'm also surprised you can feed commercial raw for 3-4 days? plus its in the fridge for a day before that? That's a long time for raw food to be in the fridge... I think most people wouldn't bother even cooking it if its been in the fridge for that long, let alone feed it raw? Are there preservatives in the commercial food I guess?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Premier Cat

LW buys commercial raw, which comes prepackaged frozen--as in rock hard (I assume). So when she says she puts in in the fridge for a few days, I'd imagine it's done to thaw out the meat. It depends on the brand and the packaging it comes in, but if it's in a tub like RadCat, it can take a few days to defrost it in the fridge. It can take about 2 days to completely defrost, depending on the tub/container size, from my own experience.

I haven't bought any raw food that has preservatives, that would probably go against what most people want in their pet's food...to get away from the "unnecessaries", fillers, etc. Raw food should be fresh for felines, so no preservatives which includes no added salt, sugars, artificial ingredients.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 03:40 AM
Kitten

For how long is it ok to keep raw food in the fridge? I just made a large batch yesterday, I would portion and freeze it but not sure how much could I leave out. Enough for today? for the next day too?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:12 AM
Cool Cat

Frankly, mine's in the fridge for 3-4 days as I mentioned before - that's from full frozen, though, so factor in thawing time. I personally would keep thawed raw for three days in the fridge, tops.

You can follow the general food safety storage times:

Storage Times for the Refrigerator and Freezer | FoodSafety.gov

...and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have a problem with tacking on ONE extra day to most of their estimates, since I'm feeding a cat and not a human. Cats' digestive tracts have some pretty gnarly defenses against bacteria and they are especially resistant to e. coli and salmonella, for example. They've evolved to eat meat, and in a "wild" setting, they probably wouldn't bat a whisker at eating things that had been dead for a while.

http://tcfeline.com/bacteria-on-raw-meat/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:46 AM
Kitten

yeh it's not necessarily a "will I harm the cat", but "will I have to throw this again, because the Princess can't stand it unless it's super fresh"

Thank you for the link, very helpful
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Anyone in australia?

Hi,

I'm looking to transition my cat to a raw diet, and would like to start by trying raw meats with a supplement, and then hopefully to a prey model doing everything myself. I just want to make sure I get it right.

Is anyone adding a supplement to raw food? The only one I can find so far available here in Australia is:

Complete Mix for Cats - Vets All Natural

Which looks quite different to the ones available in the US and elsewhere:

EZComplete Fur Cats - 130 Servings
http://tcfeline.com/tcfeline-canada/
A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements

It seems there's some issue with customs seizing these items, so I don't think they ship here.

I'm also interested if anyone is sourcing fresh meats specifically made for pets. Again, the options here seem limited and I haven't found much. From what I understand they have benefits over butcher/supermarket meats based on the fact they are frozen sooner and less likely to have spent time in higher temperatures.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated,

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page