Lose Stools on Raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Lose Stools on Raw

My Ragdoll 9mth old female has been on a raw food diet from 10 wks old. I follow Dr Piersons formula roughly, as we live on an island off Australia and the main prey is wallaby that my husband shoots and prepares for her. He includes the heart, liver and kidneys but I supplement the recommended doses as well.
Her stools have always been firm and dry till now. The colour has changed from light brown to very dark chocolate and are formed but very soft. Not good on a Ragdoll's butt 😝
Any suggestions? Her behaviour is normal otherwise. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Cat

Since she has been on raw for awhile, my first assumption would be that her diet may be too rich. This is almost always an issue with feeding too much OM (kidneys, liver, etc.)

Food sensitivities could be another concern, but if her only symptom is soft stools, then I'd say it's probably just the OM/overly rich diet issue.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Cat Addict

Too much organs is a very likely cause - but too little bone can also be a factor, and an important one for a still growing kitten. You didn't mention if you're grinding/feeding chunks either. If you're feeding chunks and she's not crunching the bones down then she could be missing that bulk.

If both of those are in the standard percentages then it's possible it isn't anything to worry about. Kittens do sometimes just get tummy troubles - their digestive tract is still growing and adjusting so sometimes you'll get bad days/weeks.

I'll also add that she should be getting a wide variety of meats, you did say 'mainly wallaby' (which is very cool, btw!), but you didn't mention what other protein sources you use. I'm not familiar with Dr. Pierson's formula off the top of my head as I feed 'frankenprey'; 80% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ.

As far as the variety of organs goes - try and feed as much of those wallabys as you can; brain, reproductive tract, spleen, everything has different minerals and nutrients and if you've got them to hand I'd feed them! if you can you've got a great opportunity to feed her prey model raw, which is definitely the very best diet out there IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in