Raw Troubles - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Raw Troubles

Hello! My cats have been sick their whole lives and I've always wanted to feed raw. I was able to start about 4 weeks ago. After about 12 days of happily eating my homemade food, Dusty can't touch it anymore. It's not that he doesn't like it, because he still enthusiastically tries to eat it when given to him, but he throws up either after he sniffs it, takes a few bites, or eats the whole bowl (which is not fun). I took him off the homemade food but did not put him back on cans. I gave him tuna cooked pork for a week then tried to reintroduce the raw food again and he had the same reaction. I've been testing certain ingredients one at a time and I believe he's allergic to both chicken and egg. At least raw chicken; he did happily eat some cooked chicken just fine.

I've been using the recipe at Feline Nutrition and referencing Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health. I was subbing eggshell for bones and extra taurine for the hearts since I cannot get hearts (still looking) and I cannot by any means afford a grinder. I was grinding the meat and eggshell on my food processor.

I cannot pay more than 2 a pound for meat (even that isn't really sustainable for me) but I need a substitute for chicken. What other raw meats are safe? I know not to buy preground meats. Is raw pork safe? What about switching to cooked if not? And is there some bone I can give them whole? I don't want to use the eggshell if they're allergic to eggs.

My Träumer was never that into the raw food but he reluctantly ate it anyway. He much preferred straight raw chicken to the balanced food I made. But he's been looking extra sick so I took him off it too.

Both my cats are very very ill since they were babies and vets can't figure out why, which I'll make posts about later. It's hard to tell what's a reaction and what's their same-old sickness.

I'm willing to hear all solutions. Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:07 PM
Cool Cat

I believe some of the most commonly-given bones are:

-necks
-wings/wingtips
-backs/ribs

And those can be from chicken, duck, turkey, or even rabbit, depending on what you can get a hold of. But with Dusty's potential chicken allergy, all the chicken bits might be right out the window :{

You could always go for a calcium supplement (or a general all-around nutrition supplement like Alnutrin) rather than feed eggshells or bones.

As for meats - I have given my cat pork, mutton, venison, llama, goose, elk, goat, pheasant, and quail. I used to buy from a site called Hare Today, that sells their meats as ground-up mixes of meat, bone, and organs, so I had access to a lot of different proteins. My cat was fine on pork, and she seemed to like it quite a bit, but I did not feed her exclusively pork for more than a few days at a time, so I don't know if it's appropriate for Dusty as a main protein.

I think Dr. Pierson's site does say that you can cook the meats; I believe she bakes her chicken/turkey meats at least until the surfaces are cooked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yeah I'd really like to get bones in them so I might see if I can get them fresh ground. I don't trust Dusty to eat whole bones because he eats quickly and chokes on everything. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page