Young kitten on raw? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Young kitten on raw?

I got a kitten on Monday, and am really hoping to feed her raw, frankenprey if she'll accept it. But I weighed her yesterday and she's only 1.32lbs, which means I'm thinking she's only around 4 weeks old. I'm worried she's too young? And if she's not too young, how do I start. I've figured out she would need about 7.11 oz. of muscle meat, 0.12oz bone (which I'm worried she's to little to eat yet) 0.06oz liver and 0.06 organs a week to have the 80/10/5/5 ratio. Also just curious I don't like the idea of getting her vaccinated, but my dad tells me it's the law to get at least rabies, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if that's true? She's my first kitten, so I wasn't sure she was so young, we got her from a family down in town that was giving her away, she was in a barn, so I'm assuming she's seen her mom eat mice. Right now she's eating rachel rays nutrish, which I wasn't happy about getting but my boyfriend insisted she get kibbles at least for now, and two differnt kinds of canned food newmans organic and purina beyond. I also blended up a mixture of beef liver, egg yolks with shells, cooked eggwhites in tallow, gelatin, coconut oil, water kefir, and one smelt without a head. This morning I heated that up with some canned food and she seems to just like the liquid mostly. She seems to have only pooped 3 times since we got her so like once a day is that enough? I made the mixture because I was worried she might still need her moms milk, since I think she's only around a month old.I couldn't get into town to buy that replacement kitty milk, and also because I'm not sure whats even in there. Anyways I'm just wondering what I should do for now, especially if she is so young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Tom Cat

Maybe try just using the KMR and some wet food (water it down to make it into a mush KMR can be used for this) for now she may not even be truly ready to eat solids.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Where would I get KMR? We're aren't close to any big pet stores (about an hour away, which we can't do right now). Amazon maybe? I have prime so it would get here in 2 days. But what to do until then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Cat Addict

Until then feed her the canned food mixed with warm water. A kitten that's very young needs to be eating warm food, and it should be a baby food consistency.

Do you have any pictures? Have you taken her to a vet to make sure she's healthy and get an age on her? That should be step one, she'll likely need dewormer.

As for vaccinating, many of us follow a very low vaccination protocol but it's a very personal decision that will depend on your own research (please do some research, and on both sides of the issue), if she'll be indoor only, if she'll be in contact with other animals, and what diseases are common where you live. I think most of us got the first set of kitten shots, boosters, and rabies. If she's going to go outside at all I'd strongly suggest getting her shots and updating them (or doing titer testing) every 2-3 years.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for saying this. Too many people are telling me that I need to get her vaccinated. I've been doing a TON of research driving my self mad the past 2 days on vaccinations. I'm leaning towards Only rabbies, but people keep telling me distemper is NEEDED. I'm just worried it will mess up her natural immune system. I'm planning on calling a holistic vet near me to ask questions about it. I've read stories of people getting the distemper and their kitten died right their on the table, I've also read stories of people only getting rabies shots, and with the cats that only had rabies shots out of many they have owned those cats were the healthiest, I'm npot sure if this person is one to feed raw but if I could guess she is based on how into nutrition she is for her whole family. I just don't know what to do. I also have another thing I'm worried about. If I am going to get her kitten vaccines, how late is too late? a year? two years? I don't plan on getting her fixed until she is at least a year old two if I can, because I want her body to grow the way it's meant to and not alter it before it full grown.

Also I ordered powdered kitten formula which will be here tomorrow. And I spent like an hour cutting up meats and organs etc. (right now the options are chicken, pork, beef, gizzards, chicken hearts, beef kidney and liver both of which are from my local csa so they are grass fed, and bones like chicken neck/wings) I offered her some cut up pork and heart which she sniffed and walked away then I added some sardine liquid and some actual sardine and she ate all of it, I took a video so people can tell me if she seems to be handling solids ok. I will upload it shortly and hopefully share the link. I'm thinking she's not as young as I thought because she seems to handle the solids ok as far as I could tell, maybe she's just the runt or is extra little? She cries when I leave, or if she's left alone for too long (which to her is only a couple minutes) is that a sign of her being young? I'm just unsure, she's my first kitten.

Last edited by marie73; 07-15-2016 at 05:43 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Cat Addict

You've certainly jumped right into the deep end if this is your first kitten! XD I've broken your post up into chunks so I can properly answer your questions. (and I wrote a novel...lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyB View Post
Thank you for saying this. Too many people are telling me that I need to get her vaccinated. I've been doing a TON of research driving my self mad the past 2 days on vaccinations. I'm leaning towards Only rabbies, but people keep telling me distemper is NEEDED.
Since you found her outside the first thing you need to do is go to a vet and have them run tests to see if she's positive for the diseases that are common in your area. If she's positive for a serious illness then you need to handle that before you can start worrying about the rest of it.

Secondly, if she does clear all the tests I'd ask the vet how old she is. One common practice for people who are more wary of vaccines is to delay the vaccines, or to give them individually rather than in a booster.

The most common booster shot combines 3, 5, or even 7 common diseases. Ask your vet what they typically give, at what age, and why. Also ask them (or call a local rescue) and ask what diseases are prevalent in your area. If you're uncomfortable with vaccines then an easy step to take is to only vaccinate against the worst and most common diseases.

When I was decided what to do with my kittens (8 years ago!!!) I spoke with 3 vets, read articles from online medical journals (I work at a library, so we have pretty good access to full text articles, and I know how to make sure an article is worthwhile and reputable), and also read information by vets who recommend a lower vaccination schedule. (Google Dr. Jean Dodds) and their reasons for recommending or not recommending each individual vaccine. then I considered my lifestyle and plans for my pets future. I knew I was going to keep my cats indoors (low risk), however I pet sit and wanted to foster (high risk), so I chose to vaccinate fully for the first year and then see how it went after that.

Much of the actual backed research suggested that vaccines are good for 5-7 years minimum, so much of the fuss about vaccinating stems from over vaccinating recommended by most vets who follow a 1 year protocol. I felt that by vaccinating for the first year only I could provide 1) the best immunity against the diseases, 2) the lowest risk against infections, 3) the best long term outcomes.

So far it's worked out well for me, but a sample size of 4 cats is useless. (more on this below)

Quote:
I'm just worried it will mess up her natural immune system.
Serious adverse reactions are extremely uncommon. Most cats will be a bit grumpy the day of, might not eat that night (this is easily attributable to the stress of a vet visit, rather than the shot though!), but are back to themselves the next morning. Some will seem irritable for a day or two, then be fine. In rarer cases they may get a low fever, vomit, or seem disoriented or dizzy. This should be reported to a vet, and should have an effect on how you go forward with vaccines in the future (as a cat who has had one reaction is more likely to have another, and more likely to have a worse one later on, although it's not a guarantee.).

There is no solid scientific evidence right now that shows vaccines cause any issues with the immune system. There is anecdotal evidence, but as much of this is presented by people who were already biased (and is anecdotal, not scientific) it isn't a solid basis. However, it still makes many people uncomfortable or wary of vaccines. IMO it's not bad to hedge your bets, but it is important to make an informed decision based on your individual risk factors.

Quote:
I'm planning on calling a holistic vet near me to ask questions about it. I've read stories of people getting the distemper and their kitten died right their on the table, I've also read stories of people only getting rabies shots, and with the cats that only had rabies shots out of many they have owned those cats were the healthiest,
These things do happen, but so do the pets who get vaccines every year and live happily into old age. Neither example outweighs the other, but a kitten dramatically passing after getting vaccines is much more dramatic and traumatic - so it FEELS like more of a risk.

I foster kittens, which means I've helped vaccinate many and carefully watched for adverse reactions. I have personally cared for 47 cats when they've gotten their first set of shots, most when they were between 8-12 weeks old (40 kittens).

- 4 cats have had a bruised limb: caused by the roughness of the vet, NOT the actual shot as this was all administered at the same time by the same vet and the cats have each never shown that reaction since
- about half the total were sleepier or reserved the day of and fine the next day (including lowered appetite for a single meal)
- 1 adverse reaction: Jitzu was already ill at the time of vaccination, and the stress of the vet visit combined with the vaccine caused a flare up where we nearly lost her. Jitzu no longer receives vaccinations on the advice of the vet because her illness is chronic and stress is a known trigger.

Working with the rescue I can also assure you that in the 2 years I've been fostering for them (over 100 cats, easily, per year) they haven't lost a cat or kitten to a vaccine reaction.

Quote:
I'm npot sure if this person is one to feed raw but if I could guess she is based on how into nutrition she is for her whole family. I just don't know what to do.
I remember what it was like to be so overwhelmed with information, but not have any experiences to base my own personal decisions on. It's stressful!

So, step one is to take a big deep breathe and cuddle that baby! Now, remember that if you'd left her on the street her chances were terrible, so anything you do at this point is still a HUGE improvement. Also, give yourself permission to make mistakes - if you try something and it doesn't work there was no way for you to know the outcome and you did it with the very best intentions. That doesn't mean bad things will never happen, but if you let yourself be frozen by 'what if's you can't ever move forward. *hugs*

Quote:
I also have another thing I'm worried about. If I am going to get her kitten vaccines, how late is too late? a year? two years?
I'd suggest getting them starting at either 8 or 12 weeks. The rabies vaccine may be age-mandated where you live, it's very common for it to be given at 6 months and again at 1 year. I'd suggest giving it by itself, as the rabies vaccine tends to be one that causes more adverse reactions. (That doesn't mean don't get it, as the consequences of an unvaccinated cat that bites the wrong person are definite and awful in many places. Look up the law where you live.)

Quote:
I don't plan on getting her fixed until she is at least a year old two if I can, because I want her body to grow the way it's meant to and not alter it before it full grown.
}

This is a different story. Take it from someone who has been there, unaltered females are the WORST. The door dash, pee all over things, and HOWL day and night for weeks. It isn't 'kinder' to keep her intact, it's cruel to keep her intact with no intention of allowing her to breed. There is no reason to worry about this.

The studies you've probably seen were mostly done 1) on dogs, 2) the findings were much stronger in dogs over 100lbs at maturity, and 3) by people who didn't have to live with the queen in heat.

She will finish growing just fine without her ovaries and uterus. If you feed her well and make sure to keep her playful and fit she won't magically gain tons of weight. Cats are slam enough that the tiny amount of increased cancer risk does not offset the bone growth issues.

Pyometria (infection of the uterus) is also a risk if you leave her intact - and it sucks. I was flat broke when Torri became big enough to get spayed (due to other vet bills draining the pet fund) so I waited and she got pyo. It was terrible and affected her personality and socialization in a crucial period, she's MUCH more skittish and anxious that she was before getting pyo and would likely have been a completely different cat if I'd been able to spay her on time. Also, Every heat a female cat goes through before being spayed increases her lifetime risk of mammary cancer.

They also door dash. Relentlessly. And call suitors (aka unaltered males who will coat the outside of your home is reeking urine. Blech. So glad I got my girls fixed!).

The only reason to keep her intact would be to breed her, since she's a (lovely) street kitty that's right out.

Quote:
I'm thinking she's not as young as I thought because she seems to handle the solids ok as far as I could tell, maybe she's just the runt or is extra little? She cries when I leave, or if she's left alone for too long (which to her is only a couple minutes) is that a sign of her being young? I'm just unsure, she's my first kitten.
I've written quite enough for now (ack, typing fingers are tired...lol), but this all sounds like you're on the right track. She's crying because her instincts are telling her to be near 'mum', and she's in a completely new place. It's normal and she'll get over it soon, but don't feel bad about going ot her and comforting her, or toting her around everywhere. I wore Doran in a sling whenever possible until he was old enough to climb stairs and follow me around - you won't be spoiling her, kittens NEED comfort and affection to thrive. *hugs*
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
You've certainly jumped right into the deep end if this is your first kitten! XD I've broken your post up into chunks so I can properly answer your questions. (and I wrote a novel...lol)
thank you for all the information you gave me.

Also I didn't find her on the streets exactly. I got her from a man who was giving away his cats kittens, but they did live in his barn, so I guess she was outside.

I knew about the females being in heat are annoying, my gram used to have loads of cats and I remember one recently before she passed that she didn't fix right away and she was loud lol, but I was hoping to deal with it until she was 1 year old, maybe I'll reconsider. since you mentioned the males peeing on the house :O I didn't think of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page