Blocked Bladder Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Blocked Bladder Cat

A week ago late on wednesday night my cat seemed off, hissed and cried anytime I touched him and was restless, licking himself in and out the litter tray, thought he was constipated, took him to vet on Friday as by that time we were really worried but had no idea it was anything so serious. He spent 3 or 4 days in the vet hospital, had a catheter under local anesthetic and all the stuff they do for a blocked bladder his kidney levels went back down to normal so we brought him home and he seemed miles better, were told to put him on special food to prevent it happening again or to try at least, he doesnt like the wet food at all, have tried in a variety of ways and a cpl different types and flavours, we put both cats on the same diet as we have another older female cat. Everything seemed to be going ok until wednesday evening so back to the vet hospital ,they gave him a painkilling injection and an antibiotic injection too which they said they dont normally do but they felt it might help then back to the vet in the morning for a check up, by that time he was feeling much better again and has even been jumping into the sink for water, so hes drinking plenty that way and also in the bowls which I see him over at multiple times a day, same with out other cat.

Im not sure if I could manage the raw food diet tbh because of health problems. Hes fine with the c/d biscuts but doesnt like the food from the vet or the other stuff from a place online which is hills. Im going to contact them again today but thought Id ask here, is it not ok to keep him on his previous wet food along with the c/d biscuts, its felix good as it looks they normally get and at least I know he will eat that and it seems much better quality than the others one was like cheap processed lumps and smelled not nice at all and the other one was like supermeat which I dont buy because they dont like it, no cat I have ever had has liked supermeat.

I just need some advice from people who know what they are talking about, am a nervous wreck and this week has totally messed me up, currently getting massive headache so off i go to take more medication for that, funtimes.

thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 02:35 PM
Tom Cat

I can only offer support. Not sure if many people follow the raw forum, but at least Iíll bump the thread.
I think the best food depends on the type of UTI your cat was diagnosed with. Did the vet find crystals, and what kind? Was a urine culture done that showed bacteria in the bladder? Itís also possible that your cat has idiopathic cystitis and this is probably more related to stress than diet. These are distinct illnesses and in my opinion should be addressed with a chemically-adequate diet as the case may be.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Premier Cat

Here's an excellent website on cat nutrition, urinary health, etc.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page