Questions about raw feeding - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Evi
Kitten

Questions about raw feeding

Hi guys, just wondering if some of you could help me out with some questions I have about feeding raw.

So, I've been researching this and wanting to do it for a few years now and finally I am in a position to start feeding my furry babies raw. I'm using the ground meat/bone/organ with necessary supplements method and I'm pretty much set to go, but here are my questions:

Do you rinse the organs or just grind them up the way they are? I already know to rinse the muscle meat off (chicken thighs in this case) to lessen surface bacteria, but I wasn't sure about the liver/hearts. Sorry if this is a super dumb question!

I've had fresh from the farm chicken hearts in my freezer since March 10th. I didn't expect it to take so long before I could use them, but this is the situation. Could I still possibly use them? They've been COMPLETELY frozen from the moment I got them and have never been opened.

And lastly, would it be okay to add raw apple cider vinegar to the food as I make it? Just a small amount? I've been wanting to include it in my fur folk's diet for a while because of the numerous benefits that I've read about (bladder health, flea/parasite repellent, stops tear stains). When I got my youngest guy his breeder gave me a supply of freeze-dried raw food and I remember apple cider vinegar being listed in the ingredients. He did really well on that food. I've tried putting a little raw ACV in their water but one guy in particular won't go for it so I was thinking maybe this would work better?

Sorry for all the text, just need some advice on this stuff before I go jumping into food making Hope it's okay for me to post already, I just joined today... so, hope I'm not breaking any rules!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

You need to wait 5 days after you join to post in the Raw Food Diet section.

7 days if you live in New York.

I don't know anything about feeding raw, but I do know the hearts will be fine to feed them.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 PM
Cat Addict

Lol Marie

Yes, the hearts are fine to feed.

For the ACV add it fresh just before you serve or you basically might as well skip it. Half the idea is that using raw organic ACV includes live bacteria - which won't make it if you premix it and freeze it. Also, it'll take time to get your cats accustomed to the taste. I started off adding about 1/2 of a 1/8 tsp to Jitzus meals and built up to 1/4 tsp over 3 months.

If you're just starting also try feeding some meals in chunks rather than ground. Chunks and bones are what give raw the dental benefits, so if you grind everything you'll still need to brush their teeth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Evi
Kitten

I was worried for a second, lol! XD

Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I made raw food for the first time last night and all four of the kittyfolk were down with it (with varying enthusiasm, but no one said "no")

As soon as I'm confident that they are completely on board I'm going to start adding chunks to the mix. Gotta take care of those chompers.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:28 AM
Cat Addict

It doesn't seem like it, but it's actually easier to start with chunks right off the bat. Cut some into thin skinny strips, like french fries. Its for easier to add in some chewing right away than later on, and most cats really enjoy the chewing aspect. I think it's good for their mental health.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Evi
Kitten

Oooh, I was afraid they would get frustrated with all the extra work and just not mess with it, but I'll definitely have to try that with the next batch! Plan on making another tomorrow Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page