How much of the diet can be feeder rodents? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

How much of the diet can be feeder rodents?

I'm pretty sure when I get my kitty I want to do a raw diet. How much of the diet can or should rodents?

Is frankenprey a better option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Cat Addict

If you can get the cat to eat whole prey then basically all the diet can be feeder rodents.

I'd add in chicks as well, and maybe occasionally crickets or other bugs. But that's basically their natural diet.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you! That's what I was thinking but then I found some articles online (great source I know) that had me a bit worried about whole prey.

I have basically unlimited access to feeder rodents as I breed them for my pet reptiles. They would certainly be the most convenient base for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Cool Cat

I suspect one problem would be people buying feeder rodents and not knowing what those animals had been fed, what their conditions were. Since you're raising your own, you know about gut loading and you will be making sure the rodents' base diet is good, so there should be no troubles at all. I am envious, but also do not want to raise rodents so....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Very true! Trust me I would prefer not to breed rodents either but when you breed snakes it kinda has to happen lol

I've actually switched my feeder rodents over to an organic diet - just for future kittie's health. They get a 95% organic corn wheat and soy free dog food, meal worms and crickets (which eat the same dog food and kitchen scraps) organic spring and spinach mix, organic carrots, organic coconut flakes, organic flax and Sunflower seeds, an organic 32 superfood mix powder that includes spirulina, cranberries, wheat grass juice, blue berries, pomegranate, broccoli, and a whole bunch of other stuff. They also get probiotics. Oh they even drink filtered water.

So I'm pretty sure I have some of the healthiest feeder rodents around if I do say so myself!

What size rodents go over best with kitties? Do they like pinkies or furred better? How much do I feed?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Oh i also have a variety of different rodents too. So they could get variety in type too if need be.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Cool Cat

I cannot answer your questions, but my adult cat was cheerful about the nest of pinky mice we found. Of course it was just a one time snack, not a full meal.

My adult python was also pleased with furries I was needing dispose of because the injured ratsnake had died... but the look on the python's face was priceless as I put these tiny things in with him.

All my rodents have been frozen/thawed. Woule you be feeding fresh killed or live or frozen/thawed? Just curious, it should not really make any difference, I don't think!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I feed pre killed to my snakes. I was thinking frozen thawed for the kitty though as an extra precaution against parasites
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Cat Addict

I don't think my cat would eat a dead rodent. I actually bought two live white small feeder mice once but they wouldn't run so my cats actually weren't interested. They actually touched noses and the other cat just walked away after awhile. It was weird. I gave them to someone with a snake.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamselChum View Post
I feed pre killed to my snakes. I was thinking frozen thawed for the kitty though as an extra precaution against parasites
Sounds like a plan.

You can definitely feed a variety, but I'd say mostly adults should be the goal. To start off with pinkies are usually easiest and then work your way up...but if it's a kitten I'd introduce halved full adult mice very early on. The fur tends to end up being the sticking point, but kittens are really adaptable so the sooner you jump that hurdle the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
I don't think my cat would eat a dead rodent.
If your cat has never seen a dead rodent it won't recognize it as food. Feral kittens, or even outdoor barn cats, usually have rodents presented to them by their mothers when they're very young. And then she 'trains' them to recognize living mice as food by (Sorry folks, a bit graphic) wounding mice and presenting her kittens with mice still alive but unable to escape;. Gradually she'll build up to bringing unharmed live mice for the kittens to dispatch themselves.

You can't just present an indoor cat with mice and expect them to figure it out. Sure, some will, but some won't. Muffin loves to catch mice, but he's started to catch them very carefully as they're no fun when they stop running. This is not fun for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page