Want to offer some raw tidbits to a cat who won't eat canned! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Want to offer some raw tidbits to a cat who won't eat canned!

My beloved Sassy REFUSES to eat canned food in any shape or form, no matter what I put on it to tempt her. I have tried removing her kibble and only offering her canned......after 3 days of only giving her small bits of kibble day 2 and 3, I gave up!
She loves pork, ham to be specific, which I found out when I dropped a piece I was putting in my salad. Turns her nose up at lunchmeat (roast beef and turkey), used to love eggs but now turns her nose up at those too . (my oldest used to let her lick her plate after her "dippy" eggs every morning...on Christmas I made each of the pets a plate of dippy eggs with bacon and sausage....Sassy smirked at me and walked away).
I believe Sassy is at the very least half feral (see my post in the behavior section), if not half bobcat!. She used to be allowed outside on occasion and would bring us her kill, but we've had some mysterious cat disappearances since last summer and is now never allowed out.

Sassy also has frequent vomiting issues. I am inclined to believe that a raw/homemade diet will most likely cure her of that, but knowing her aversion to anything not kibble, I am afraid to start the expense and time involved only to STILL have a cat who only eats kibble. I have also tried the "hairball" supplement...she walks around in a tizzy with her paw in the air until she finally deigns to lick it off....apparently she doesn't find it tasty

Can I begin to offer her chicken wings or even pinkie mice to try to entice her over to a more frequent raw/homemade diet while she makes the transition? Or would I be offering her too much of an unbalanced diet? Now that the kitten is staying more with my daughter at her fathers I can have more control over what Sassy eats, but I don't wish to go another round of basically starving my poor cat.

Soooooo, what would those of you that feed raw suggest I try maybe 2-3 times a week to see if I can start to transition her over? Even if I can't get her on raw, canned would be better I'm sure.

BTW, I feed a grain free kibble, which DOES lessen the vomiting, but the dog is still in heaven scarfing up the cat vomit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Kitten

+kimmers39 .. I am not that experienced with diet switching .. every time I have tried that, I fail miserably. You seem to have a good idea to go raw and then transition back to canned food .. definitely worth a shot .. maybe even mix them .. i.e. start with raw, then if that works, add in 10% canned, and slowly increase the canned %... if your luck is like mine, this game will never end .. my Kitty keeps me on my toes!

~Samantha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in