Starting the road to raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Starting the road to raw

Hi guys! I'm hoping you can help me out. I have two 12 year old kitties that are my babies, I found them at 2 weeks old and bottle fed them. They currently eat grain-free canned food since I'm away at college and my little brothers have to feed them. But I graduate this spring and will (hopefully) be attending vet school in a year and taking them with me so I'd like to start switching their diet to raw. I've fed Honest Kitchen before and they loved it so I may add that back in, has anyone used that as more of a base and added raw meat to it? I've also looked into all the supplements I'd need to buy and ordering grinds of meat from Hare Today, but for now I think I need to stick with a premix. What do you guys think of Better in the Raw? When I looked at it it seemed to end up being relatively cheap. Do I need to rotate meats with it? Or could I just use say chicken breasts and thighs all the time. Sorry for the long post, thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Jr. Cat

Honestly, I've been looking at Hare Today as well to feed exclusively. Catnutrition.org (Recipes - Cat Nutrition) says that she mixes 5 lbs of a grind + 5lbs boneless meat + 1 lb ground organs to create roughly 10 lbs of ready to eat foods at the 80/10/10 ratio (at least, that's what I gathered she does). She uses all of the individual supplements, but alnutrin powder can be used in place of those 1000 different items (which is what I'm planning on using and can also be found on hare today). The breakdown for my order (I haven't ordered it yet, I'm waiting on a shipment from Darwin's Natural Pet to see how they will handle a raw diet) was $1.31/day/cat (I have two).

I don't see why you couldn't add chunks of meat to the honest kitchen. They'd get extra protein as sort of a topper on top of a balance meal and it would be good for their dental health. If you can find chicken breasts or thighs on sale, even better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page