Making raw stretch! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Evi
Kitten

Question Making raw stretch!

Hey, everyone! So I've been feeding my 4 cats homemade raw (ground and supplemented meat/organ/egg/bone mixture) for a little over a year now and everyone's doing great! Even my picky guy is into it now But with 4 cats I'm finding that the food seems to be going faster than I can make it, lol. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to maybe feed them extra muscle meat on the side to help stretch the ground food? Like give them their usual supplemented food and then give them some coarsely chopped raw chicken thigh throughout the day? Could that cause any problems? Any tips or suggestions would be great!

Also, I've recently introduced them to green beef tripe. Everyone's in love. XD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Jr. Cat

What I'd be concerned about with feeding more muscle meats is that cats need a certain % of organ and bone in their food or else it can cause a diet imbalance. If you were looking to save $$ with feeding raw, what I've found is to look for the 'cheaper' meats in the aisle- maybe they're on sale because their expiry date is coming up (which is fine if you quickly make + freeze the foods), chicken cuts on-the-bone are cheaper than off-the-bone or breasts. Hearts are cheaper than usual meat cuts, and can be used as "meat" in your recipe, too

I don't have much experience with homemade raw myself- I only just started kitty on TC Feline due to food allergies- but a lot of pet stores around here also carry large patty-type frozen raw which may also be an option? With buying in bulk the cost looks to be about the same/even a little cheaper.

Last edited by Geek_Chick82; 04-27-2017 at 09:03 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Evi
Kitten

Exactly! That's what I'm worried about is keeping everything balanced, but I don't exactly know what the problem could be with feeding extra muscle meat. I know organs like liver are super rich and can cause... litter box problems and you don't want to overdo it with vitamin A. Too much bone will cause litter box problems too, but on the other side of the spectrum. But I'm wondering what the risks of too much muscle meat are and how much is too much... I haven't been able to find any info on that

The bone-in thighs that I get are VERY affordable and I do use hearts in my recipe, but I never thought of using them as more than just an additional source of taurine :O It makes sense though, since they count as muscle meat. Thanks for the tip! I still need to shop around and see what my local pet stores have in terms of raw. There are a lot of specialty pet shops in my area.

How has TC worked out for you? In the beginning I had thought about premixes, but opted to source the supplements myself. But the supplements are the most costly part XD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in