Raw dehydrated cat foods - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Raw dehydrated cat foods

I always gave cat chow to my cats, they were cats that went outside and often caught rodents but rarely ate em, and they always lived for like 15 years or so...that said I wasn't aware of this raw diet thing so maybe this is a relatively new thing.

That said I live out in the country here in the province of Quebec and we don't really have access close by to places I can get some of the "good" pet food I have seen while doing research so I will likely be ordering online from places that do "free" shipping if you order for so much at a time or just stopping on the rare occasions I go into town.

After doing some research my wife and I don't feel we can do a raw diet as it would be rather expensive for us in our area and even if you took advantage of the occasional deal at the local markets it would still be expensive not to mention we wouldn't be able to feed raw in a steady fashion.

I would like to do better than cat chow or other dry kibble type food. This kitten we have just acquired, she's about 4months old, is one we picked up from the SPAA and they tell us she was found outside and they aged her roughly according to her teeth.

They also tell us she was eating Royal Canin kitten dry food which she doesn't seem to like all that much and doesn't seem much better than cat chow. We have been feeding her some whiskas wet food to get her to eat more.

I want to try out raw dehydrated food as from what I have read it's much better than dry kibble even if not quite as good as wet and raw.

I would likely order from a place called Mondou and I am looking at this in particular, Canisource GrandCru red meat diet. They also have a fish based one I could alternate too it that a good idea.

For the Red meat one it looks something like this:

Ingredients

Pork, green lentils, beef liver, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, green peas, fresh carrots, natural flavour, fresh apples, sunflower oil, ground flaxseeds, eggs, pumpkin puree, apple fiber, calcium carbonate, tricalcium phosphate, cranberries, Saccharomyces cerevisiae extract (MOS), chicory root extract (FOS), beet extract, cranberry extract, thyme, chamomile flowers, taurine, elderberry extract, yeast extract, Lactobacillus extract, valerian root, thyme extract, choline chloride, zinc sulphate, ferrous sulphate, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, nicotinic acid, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), copper sulphate, manganous oxide, vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, copper proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, manganese proteinate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, sodium selenite, citric acid, rosemary extract

Crude protein 33 % Min.
Crude fat 15 % Min.
Crude fibre 4 % Max.
Moisture 8 % Max.
Calcium 1.2 % Min.
Omega-3 0.8 % Min.
Omega-6 2.5 % Min.
Taurine 0.2 % Min.

Calorie content ME (calculated)
4,300 Kcal/kg | 430 Kcal/cup

Guides & Ressources

Weight of cat-- 1,0 KG (2 lbs)----- 1,8 KG (4 lbs) -----3,0 KG (7 lbs)---- 4,5 KG (10 lbs) ------7,6 KG (17 lbs)
Daily Ration (Cup)- 1/8 cup ------ 1/4 cup-------------- 1/3 cup ------------1/2 cup ---------------- 3/4 cup
Daily Ration (Grams)- 10 g --------25 g ---------------- 34 g ----------------50 g ---------------------75 g
Duration of a box -----300 day ----120 days ----------- 88 day ------------ - 60 days ---------------40 days

I was wondering what you all think about this food and have any of you tried it? From what I can tell you can feed it without adding any water to it but I would probably add some warm water to it as so far our Jasmine like even the wet whiskas with added water to make it mushier.

Also I was I could/should supplement this food with some form of dry kibble or wet food and if so what would be a good choice from the Mondou website.

Thanks for any advice or input!

Hmmm..

Last edited by Calistin; 08-04-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Looks to me like a significant portion of the protein is coming from vegetables sources (lentils are very high in protein). Chick peas and peas are also very high in protein. This food has way too much veggie protein...cats need meat protein not veggies, this is not a food I would feed. Take a look at Stella & Chewys or Primal. Primal does have some veggies but in very small quantity and they are not huge sources of protein.

Definitely re-hydrate any freeze dried food...cats need the moisture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ah yeah Stella & Chewys or Primal is not something I can find here in french Canada, like I said the stuff at Mondou seems to be the best quality food types I can find for cats and dogs. I did see some on amazon.ca but it's way way over our budget.

The site says, "Meat as a main ingrediant" so I took that to mean meat was THE main ingrediant thus main source of protien, I gather that not the case?

Is there a way for us to know what what the main source of protien is other than making an educated guess according to the ingrediant list or sending the company an email?

Hmmm..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

At the Mondou site they also have this, it's a little more than what we wanted to pay but I could maybe feed a this stuff in the morns and kibble at night.

Also if I do end up having to choose between that canisource food and say Royal Canin or Cat Chow I would imagine the canisource stuff is better?

Hmmm..

Last edited by Calistin; 08-05-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in