Increased appetite when switching to raw-er diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Increased appetite when switching to raw-er diet

Turbo's almost 5 and I've been feeding her Wellness canned all her life, which I thought was really good food. After finally looking into raw diets I've realized Wellness still isn't even close to one of the better foods. My first choice was to switch her to Primal freeze-dried, and her transition to it is nearly complete. For the first few days her appetite was diminished (maybe because it was upsetting her stomach), but her appetite has now returned with a vengeance and she's demanding more food than ever before! She used to get 2 3-oz cans of Wellness per day and she usually didn't even eat it all. Now she's getting more than that, and devouring every morsel and crying for more. Is this typical behavior when transitioning to better food? I shudder to think how much she'll eat when I move her over to Rad Cat frozen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Premier Cat

I always find my cats go through a cycle of eat less (this isn't my food, so I'm not eating it) to eat like they have never seen food before (ok...I'm starving...oh, this is good) cycle when introducing new foods....especially when going from dry to wet or wet to raw. Usually it evens out after 4-7 days as their digestive system gets used to the new food and how to process it.

If you think about it, the dry food would sit in their tummy longer...so they are used to that sensation. Wet moves quicker, so the cat feels nothing in the tummy, so demands more. Eventually they get used to the feeling. Same thing happens with wet and raw. Raw moves faster, so I must be hungry again.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks...already today her appetite seems to be getting back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in