Answers raw diets - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Answers raw diets

Is anyone familiar with this brand? I've never heard of it, but the holistic vet recommended it today, and it's carried by my local store. I think the only other brands they have are Stella & Chewy and NV Instinct. Here's the Answers website:

https://www.answerspetfood.com/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Very high quality product, but a lot of animals particularly cats don't seem to like it....I think it's the green tea extract. It has a vinegary smell to it. Worth a try but don't have high expectations.

RadCat is my best seller for cats with Primal right behind it. Although Primal has a fair amount of veggies in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks doodlebug. That's good to know, since Celia is so super fussy. I'll double-check whether my store carries RadCat or Primal. I know a lot of members like them. My vet likes Instinct, but I see that someone said they thought there was too much bone in it.

I actually called the vet thinking he'd do acupuncture for her arthritis, and I was surprised when he said the best thing for her arthritis would be a raw diet, because she'd be getting more nutrients and things like ligaments, which help lubricate the joints. So...once she starts eating a little better, I'll take the plunge and hope she takes to the raw.

Oh. I just remembered why he suggested I try Instinct first - apparently they have smaller packages so I can test them out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

I was the one who said there's too much bone in Instinct. I was feeding it to Misty and she ended up with major constipation. Switched to another food and it cleared right up. Instinct has like twice the calcium of 2 or 3 other brands I compared it to.

Look into collagen for her arthritis. One of my employees is using bone broth (which has lots of collagen) on her dog and says she sees a noticeable difference. Based on the conversation with her I started taking a collagen supplement for my knee and it feels way better. Research shows varying results...maybe some people or pets respond better than others. My knee had been a minor annoyance for years, but I must have done something to it and I was limping around and in constant pain for several weeks...started taking the collagen and I noticed a difference in 4 or 5 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by doodlebug; 08-15-2017 at 10:10 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Aha. Constipation is definitely a concern, but I will probably try the Instinct rabbit, because Celia liked the Instinct dry rabbit. The store website says they have Primal, and the vet said they have Answers, but the Primal and Answers websites don't list my store among their vendors, so I guess we'll choose from what they have. I know they carry Stella & Chewy's, but it doesn't look like there are any organ meats in their frozen food.

I keep forgetting about the bone broth, but I'm pretty sure I can get it. It makes sense that the collagen would help for joint pain. Wish I had known about it when I was gimping around because of my hips - though my hips were probably beyond help.

The holistic vet also said I should try raw goat's milk (I mean that Celia should try it), so I'll get some of that too. Do you know anything about it?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Remember that most stores can get way more brands than what they carry in store....I can probably get 10-15 brands but obviously don't have room or the market for all that. So I choose a few and if someone wants something different i special order it. I get orders weekly from my distributors, so this is no big deal and doesn't add freight charges. So you can ask your store for a list of the brands they can get.

I've been using Honest Kitchen Bone Broth for Misty. It's a powder, I make up a bottle of it in advance and keep it in the fridge. There are some brands that make a frozen version. Misty gets it because I split a 5.5 oz can between her and Holly and it's not enough for her and I don't want to be messing with partial cans. So I give her some kibble and and bone broth to offset the lack of moisture. She inhales her food so I don't have to worry about bacteria forming.

Goat's Milk is great stuff. The brand that seems to be the most palatable is Primal. I brought in several brands and customers would try them and not come back for more. Didn't have regular repeat customers until I brought in Primal.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

My catsitter went to the store for me today and though they don't have Primal in yet, they'd already decided to carry it so should have it very soon. They also exactly what you said - that if I wanted something, they'd order it for me.

The choices were Answers, Instinct, and Stella & Chewy's. I didn't want S & C's because there aren't any organ meats, which is what the holistic vet wanted Celia to eat because the organs are nutrient-dense. So she got Answers chicken, Instinct rabbit, and Answers goat milk, but...she forgot the bone broth, like I have so many times. I don't know what it is with me and bone broth!

I'm going to wait til Celia's eating better more consistently before I try any of them out. I'll report back on whether she likes the Answers or not. I have my fingers crossed that she'll take to the raw.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Stella & Chewy's chicken or duck both have organ meat. It's just the rabbit that doesn't...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hm! I checked their website and thought it said no organ meats in the ingredients for all flavors, but maybe it was just the rabbit - because of course that's the flavor she likes the most. Maybe I'll try the chicken if she doesn't eat either of the things I have. Currently she's eating chicken/lamb, but the vet said lamb might be a little rich, so I should go with rabbit, chicken, or beef if possible.

I don't know what to do with the goat's milk now that I have it, lol. Should I just put a little bit in a dish or try to mix a little in food?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Either way is fine...however she'll take it. If you think she's going to be fussy about it, maybe start with 1/2 - 1 teaspoon mixed in her raw food and gradually increase it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page