Cat with IBS Is Raw a good option? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat with IBS Is Raw a good option?

Hello, I just came across this forum. I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this question, but I have a an older Domestic shorthair (Henry) that has had IBS all of his life. More or less he's been pretty stable without medication or special foods. Lately he has been dealing with watery diarrhea but is not constantly headed for the litter box. The vets have him on medicine which with a cat we all know isn't always easy to administer. I've started looking into raw diets and even wondering about ones that are cooked with added supplements. My question is has anyone one here switched to either a raw diet or one with cooked foods? I have heard they can really be beneficial.

For those that have tried it or feed such a diet, can you point me to quality resources or places I can look?. Also can you give me some ideas on where to look for fresh local good quality meats organs etc. in the Northern KY Cincinnati area? He still eats and drinks but he's lost weight, and I can tell he is trying to conserve energy. I don't trust what the vet is telling me in terms of diet at this point because they told me to switch to a food that turned out to have peas as the first ingredient. Please any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to end up losing him to this. Not when there may be an option that could help him.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Allison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Allison,

I'm not sure what you mean by a cooked diet with added supplements? Do you mean commercial raw diets (as opposed to preparing raw at home)? If so, I'm pretty new to raw as well, but I've tried two brands of commercial raw: Nature's Variety Instinct and Answers. My holistic vet strongly believes that it would make a huge difference for my 17-year-old kitty with early CKD and arthritis in a couple of joints. He'd tell you that a raw diet is beneficial for virtually every medical condition, and I think many forum members would agree. He also highly recommended raw goat's milk.

My kitty was on a half wet, half dry diet for most of her life. I finally managed to switch her over to all wet about 2 years ago, after a 2-3 year battle. A couple of months ago, I did a very slow introduction of the raw, mixing just a little into her wet food. She totally loved it at first, then when I got to about a 50-50 mix, she decided she was done with it. Same with the goat's milk. So I backed off and retried just a teeny bit of a different brand and flavor. She ate it, but unfortunately, I noticed that the expiration date had passed (!!) so had to throw it out and my store didn't have more. Because my local store has such limited options, I'm about to check into companies that would deliver. If I find any info, I'll post here.

I hope doodlebug, one of the mods, will be by here to give you some specific recommendations. She knows a lot about foods and raw in particular, and also has experience with IBS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page