about Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Duck & Turkey Meal Natural Dry Cat Food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

about Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Duck & Turkey Meal Natural Dry Cat Food

Regarding Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Duck & Turkey Meal Natural Dry Cat Food by Nature's Variety:

One of my cats lost about 12% of his weight in about 2 months. We took him to the vet, and found that he had hypercalcemia (high calcium level). There are several possible causes, but one of them was food (others were tumor, cancer, etc.). Food being the easiest to check, the vet contacted the food manufacturer for a detailed food analysis, and found that the food is high in calcium (my guess is the raw bits as they are made with bone). The vet changed food to Royal Canin Urinary SO (prescription only), as this food is low in calcium, and can also eliminate excess calcium. Three months later, he is within an ounce or two his previous weight, and his calcium level is back to normal.

Our other cat did not have any problems with the Instinct Raw Boost. I just wanted to post this information, as it should be taken into consideration, and may serve as information to give your vet in case of a similar weight loss.

Last edited by marie73; 05-19-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Premier Cat

Hi owlyns,

Thanks for posting this info. My kitties used to get Instinct dry rabbit formula, and though they never had any issues, doodlebug has mentioned that the Instinct raw foods seem to have more bone than other brands, so the calcium would likely be an issue there as well.

Have you contacted the company to let them know?

I'm glad your kitty's calcium level is back to normal, and I hope he's off the RC rx food now as well!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, Misty had serious constipation issues on Instinct Raw as did several of my customers dogs. Misty's poop was so dry that it would crumble. I checked the calcium level of the Instinct and it was nearly double that of Primal and several other brands of raw. I put her back on canned and her poop went back to normal, although it took a little time. Misty has eaten other raw foods and didn't have any problem.

I've pretty much dropped carrying Instinct in my store because of this. I have a few customers who have resisted switching so I keep what I need for them but don't recommend it to new customers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Premier Cat

Doodlebug, the choices for good foods seem to be dwindling.

Sorry, I'm about to kind of hijack this thread, but there's already another about food recommendations, which is what I'm going to ask.

For raw, the only brand other than Instinct that my local store carries is Stella & Chewy's. I ordered online from Darwin's and Balanced Blends, because those companies deliver. But honestly I have no idea what the quality is of any of these foods.

For canned, what do you think about the quality of Weruva? I was never able to feed it before, because my kitties would only eat pates, but in general their flavors are lower in phosphorus than other brands, and having just gone through the heartache of CKD with Celia, I'd like to try to keep the phosphorus reasonable. I like Wellness too, but someone in the CKD support group contacted them to get info on phosphorus content and found out that the new formulas include cranberries, a no for CKD, and are also higher in phosphorus than the old formulas.

Other things my kitties have eaten in the past are Merrick's Purrfect Bistro, Dave's, Holistic Select, and ZiwiPeak, but ZiwiPeak is very high in phosphorus.

Are there any other brands you'd recommend? Thanks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

I have some good news for you....Weruva is coming out with a line of pates in pouches (2.8 and 5.5 oz). The email I received said they should be in stock at my distributor in June. I'll respond to the rest of your questions tomorrow or over the weekend as I'm fading fast and ready for bed. But I just had to share the Weruva info as I'm excited about it because Holly will only eat pate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:27 AM
Premier Cat

Yay!! Thanks for the heads-up! I didn't realize that Holly was a pate-only girl too.

I should probably be alarmed that I can get so excited about cat food...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Holly is a horridly fussy little diva. The only wet food she will eat with any gusto is Purrfect Bistro duck, chicken or turkey. And that requires two stops for me to sprinkle on a little dry food or freeze dried as a topper. But she'll eat any kibble you put in front of her. It's counter balanced by Misty eating absolutely anything like a little pig, she literally snorts while she eats.

But I think I'm going to push the Weruva pate with Holly and see if I can get her to eat it. Merrick makes me nervous since they were bought out by Purina.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in