Raw after dental extractions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Raw after dental extractions

My cat has IBD and has been on raw food for several years now and is doing very well. On Tuesday she's had 4 premolars removed due to resorptive lesions. The vet said not to feed raw for 10 days as there are open (though stitched) wounds and bacteria could enter in the bloodstream as opposed to going through the digestive tract.

Predictably, she's got some pretty severe diarrhea now and I'm just wondering if others have any experience? I really want to prevent this flare up from getting any worse but I don't know if it's really dangerous to feed raw now or if my vet is just overly cautious. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Premier Cat

It's best o follow the vet's advice. My suggestion is to feed her Baby food meat (with no vegs) such as Gerber's, etc. chicken or beef, as it would not involve chewing and be easy to lap up.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks, but work IBD come allergies and she reacts to beef and chicken as well as corn which seems to be present in most baby foods (cornstarch). She's fine eating the pate cans as far as her mouth goes but it's aggravating her IBD.

Anyways, it's tricky and very specific I guess but I appreciate the reply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Cat Addict

I’d lay off raw for a couple days but the switch back. The risk of infection from raw is not dissimilar to the risk from other foods.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Zuma! There are other Gerber baby foods available! I keep some Ham on hand for emergencies!
Poor baby! I think it's harder on us, at times, than them!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks guys. I went back to raw after 4 days (had a chat with the vet). It's just not worth having her IBD flare up and potentially months or life on steroids because of a relatively small risk of infection from raw food (which may or may not be any greater than from regular food which can be full of bacteria).

Trying other foods is just asking for trouble, we've been through it a couple of times and IBD is so tricky. Any change in food needs to be gradual or it'll upset her bowels.

She's doing well now, back to playing and having her crazy 5 min zoomies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page