Cat Forum banner

White poop?

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hoofmaiden 
#1 ·
One of my cats (don't know which one) has been having whitish or yellowish stools lately. I only started seeing this when I began to feed raw. The stools are not loose AT ALL. In fact, they are a little too dry and basically the opposite of loose. It's not all the time I see it though. I suspect it's because of the bones I've been feeding them. This week they've had one whole quail each and also half a cornish game hen. That's all within 7 days. I'm thinking maybe half a cornish game hen for one cat in one sitting was too much? I mean I know that half a cornish game hen and one whole quail is not too much to feed one cat within a 7 day period but I guess I should give them smaller portions? Like I only feed bones twice this week and when I did it was one whole quail for each cat and last night it was half a cornish game hen for each cat. I didn't feed the quail and CGH back to back though, I waited a couple of meals. Oh and the stool had a small streak of blood. They really don't seem constipated. I mean, they're not. I see stools in the litterbox everyday even though it's a VERY, VERY small amount but that's just a result of the raw feeding I'm guessing.

This is off topic but you know the main yahoo raw feeding group for cats, is it hard to get your questions posted there? They seem picky....

#3 ·
I wouldn't worry too much. Both mine eat quail and cornish hen so their stools are light yellow and dry too. It just means that their body is producing less waste (color) and absorbing more moisture from their food (hence the dryness).

Now if there is blood, that might be something to be concerned about.

#4 ·
The blood appeared today. And I am not even sure if it's blood. It was like a brownish, reddish small streak (could be the actual brown poop color). So I'm not sure what it was. But it only happened today. They've had yellow dry poop before and it had no blood. But yeah, it's never fully yellow, it's like a blend of brown and yellow but mostly yellow. I'm sure they're fine :) Thanks. I'm not worried at all. I was just wondering if too much bone in one sitting and white/yellow dry stool have a correlation. But it seems like it's common so I'll just forget about it.

#5 ·
catlady2010 said:
I'm thinking maybe half a cornish game hen for one cat in one sitting was too much? I mean I know that half a cornish game hen and one whole quail is not too much to feed one cat within a 7 day period but I guess I should give them smaller portions?
YES 1/2 a CGH in one sitting is too much!!! I'm astounded that one cat would even eat that much. I feed mine at MOST 1/4 of a CGH. Mine get 1/2 quail every other day (with the other meal that day boneless). They get mice every other day (w/ the other meal that day boneless). So they're getting bone every day but they're also getting a lot of boneless.

I definitely think that 1/2 a CGH is WAAAAAY too much bone, and that could easily cause the problem you're seeing.
This is off topic but you know the main yahoo raw feeding group for cats, is it hard to get your questions posted there? They seem picky....
Picky how? What did you ask? Was it rejected?? That's never happened to me. You do have to sign your posts.

#7 ·
Yeah hoofmaiden, I figured it was too much. This week I got lazy because I had exams so when I didn't meet their bone content for the week I tried to compensate that for just giving it all to them that day before the 7 day period ended. Plus I didn't have quails on hand and those are always easier to feed. I definitely won't be doing that again.

Sign the post? I don't think I did that. I posted questions similar to the one I asked here. Like once I asked if it's OK to feed a leukemia positive cat the raw diet. They never get posted :(

#8 ·
catlady2010 said:
Sign the post? I don't think I did that. I posted questions similar to the one I asked here. Like once I asked if it's OK to feed a leukemia positive cat the raw diet. They never get posted :(
I'm sure they do -- perhaps you're missing them. Are you reading on the forum on the Yahoo group or getting the messages as email?

And you DO have to sign your posts. Usually they will post the first few w/ a warning but if you keep not signing them, you're in trouble. Just your first name is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.