How to change KB size of avatar? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

How to change KB size of avatar?

I made an avatar of my cat and I happily went to upload it. It was 100 x 100 pixels and I made it on Paint, so I assumed that it would be fairly small. However, it told me that the file was 24 KB! How can I change the file size of my avatar? It is 100px x 100px, originated from a photo of my cat that was resized and given a border on MS Paint, and saved in .PNG format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

I use resizr.com, but make sure you save it to your computer, if you upload from that site, it will disappear in a few hours.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

That made it go up from 24 KB to 25. o.o; I'll just have to save it in something besides .PNG, I suppose. Thank-you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Cool Cat

PNGs are a lossless file format, which means they retain a higher quality than some other file formats, but the file size is typically bigger.

For simple web things like message board avatars, JPEG generally works best. This is a lossy file format so the quality of the image may be reduced slightly (although some programs like Photoshop let you control the quality and compression amount for varying quality/size options) but the file size will be smaller.

Generally the quality loss on things like avatars or other images displayed for web when saved as jpegs isn't too noticeable.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

That's why I saved it as .PNG instead of .JPEG because of the blurry pixels. I resaved it as a .JPEG file, though, so it works fine (aside from the blurry pixels annoying the heck out of me). I may attempt to edit it a bit on Photoshop and see if I can make the .JPEG version have a less blurry appearance.

Thank-you! <3
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Cool Cat

Once it's been compressed as a JPG you won't be able to improve the quality, but if you still have the PNG you can resave that as a JPG and adjust the compression level when saving if you have Photoshop.

In Photoshop, go to File>Save for Web... and use that method instead of the normal save. This lets you play with a few more options that will help dramatically reduce file size while still retaining pretty decent image quality. They also have a few preset options for all file types that you can use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page