issue regarding new member rules - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Tom Cat

I agree with Melysion and the others.

Admin - You'd be surprised at how many people lack the common sense to seek vet help first, prior to coming to this forum.

I read many threads on here of people saying things like "My cat has been hit by a car, HELP - what should I do". Obviously this forum can't help, and they HAVE to seek veterinary care. And waiting 3 days for their post to be approved, or even making them wait a matter of hours before the post can finally get to someone with common sense that can persuade them into taking the cat to the vet, is risking the cats life.

Also, having each new member sign a visible thread abiding by the rules is redundant. That should not be visible to the rest of the forum members, nor should it be something new members have to search for to sign. Any forum or online community that I have ever participated in (which is many), have made me click a box saying that I have read and agree to abide by the Terms of Service/Rules. That would make more sense to me, vs having a thread continuously flooding the forum that everyone has to sign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

"Approving" someone takes one click. There are a couple new members who still have not been approved because, despite several PM's, they have not signed off on the rules, as requested.

I was the one who requested this new rule after seeing it on another forum. And I'll tell you why: I logged on a couple weeks ago and someone had posted a long first post talking about his kitten. As I read through it, he was describing how he was getting tired of the crying, and he went through step by step how he slowly tortured it and killed it. Then kept on about how he was mutilating the dead kitten. And as a bonus, he included pictures. I saw it as soon as he posted, so I deleted it and banned him. It was in the wee hours of the morning, but if I hadn't seen it, it might have sat there for hours and been seen by many, many members. I'm still having bad dreams about it, and I never looked at the pictures.

There was a new member, over a year ago, who posted pictures of each stage of setting his kitten on fire and burning it alive. I desperately PM'd every single mod and Catman, hoping someone would take it down before anyone else saw it. Still having bad dreams about that one, but not as often.

I check the "moderated" posts several times an hour, so nobody who follows the instructions has to wait very long, and the other mods check it when they're online, too.

So if you're mad at anyone, it should be me.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Tom Cat

OMG how horrible.

I don't think anyones mad, at least I know I'm not, nor was I. I was moreless concerned with making sure everyones cats get the help they need as soon as possible. But I would assume/hope you all have enough mods in a wide range of time zones, to keep the threads moving on an hourly basis.

I can now understand the importance of holding new members posts for approval/probation period, so thanks for that explanation Marie. Sometimes we forget how many sick and twisted individuals there are in this world.

I still strongly suggest the Terms of Service should be at the sign up process though vs in thread form, it just makes more sense - to me anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, "mad" was the wrong term. That was only two examples, out of MANY, of the twisted people out there, but hopefully that does help members understand.

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Tom Cat

Yea, I think that definitely helps. That would be very harsh to subject cat lovers into seeing that type of stuff daily, and cause alot of forum rage. Thanks again for making things more clear.

Sad, sick world sometimes.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I am not mad at anyone. I just disagree with the new member rules as they are right now. Although I understand about the 'signing the rules' thing, forcing people to write an introduction post ... Well what does that prove?

I don't know. Rules are rules at the end of the day. I'm just expressing my opinion which is the new rules are OTT, will frighten perfectly decent people off and potentially stops desperate new people from getting the help they need.

Do you really think a desperate newbie will have the presence of mind to even think about reading the rules before posting their plea?

Anyway, I have no doubt I am flogging a dead horse so will leave it there. But no-one is mad at you Marie, how could they be? You are wanting to protect the members of this forum from vile posts! What is there to be mad about?

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I doubt any spammer will go through that routine, but a person who wants to join and discuss cats will. I think it's a shame that the process had to be added, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion View Post
Although I understand about the 'signing the rules' thing, forcing people to write an introduction post ... Well what does that prove?
It's not meant to prove anything but we hope it detours spammers. 98% of them won't take the time to do the intro post, therefore they won't become members. Very easy way to weed out the spammers and trolls.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned

If the process was instituted solely for the purpose of protecting me from psychos, well, thank you very much for the thought!

Personally, I'd rather take the chance I have to close a thread I find horrifying than take the chance someone else's kitty dies because one of those many "help me" posts goes unanswered.

On another note - A person has to be utterly debased to complete such brutal acts of cruelty. I am horrified that people can conceive of such things, never mind execute them and then attempt to brag about it on a forum devoted to the care of these animals. <<<Hugs>>> to every moderator who has had to delete one of these sick posts.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

If someone does sign on needing immediate help, I would hope members would have enough faith in knowing that one of the mods would respond to it with good information (whether through personal knowledge or searching CF), including letting them know they should take their pet to a vet immediately. We would never leave someone hanging with a cat in need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page