issue regarding new member rules - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Also, just a note that posting that you have read the rules and will abide by them is only a requirement for new members who are joining.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
So if you're mad at anyone, it should be me.
How could anyone possibly be mad at someone who's that dedicated and works that hard?

I've seen a little from the other side. I help moderate a forum dealing with another of my interests, and even though it's a fairly slow forum, it gets a LOT of automated spam. Thus I'm a big fan of administrator-approved registrations, and I've been trying to persuade my admin to adopt that course. Haven't been successful, yet, but I can see the arguments for it.

ETA - that being said, the requirement for the rules posting is,well, a bit odd. I think it's a good idea, but could be implemented in a more classy way. It would be a relatively simply project for Yung's programmers to add a little widget that floats above the page and blocks posting by a new member until the member has accessed the rules page and scrolled it, and then they acknowledge a rules sign-off by clicking something on the widget. (The fixed "I've read the rules" checkbox on the registration page is too easy for a bot) This little widget, being a floating object with a randomly programmed (and moving) position, should be pretty tough for a bot, but fairly easy for a human.

Last edited by icatguy; 07-19-2010 at 10:38 PM.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
If someone does sign on needing immediate help, I would hope members would have enough faith in knowing that one of the mods would respond to it with good information (whether through personal knowledge or searching CF), including letting them know they should take their pet to a vet immediately. We would never leave someone hanging with a cat in need.
I think this needs pointing out to newbies before they sign up. Right now all they see are loops they have to jump though to before they can post freely. Theres no obvious 'if you need help straight away we will help as much as we are able as you wait for your membership to be authorised' or whatever. Just a thought. Remember that a person in desperate need is not going to be thinking about signing rules or creating a intro post. All they want to do is post their problem. The 'regulations' can be satisfied later. In my humble opinion of course.

Please don't think I'm being over-critical. I'm just thinking about kitties in need.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)

Last edited by melysion; 07-20-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Senior Cat

I understand why this rule was implemented, but I agree with melysion and others that some adjustments can be made. I've posted in probably hundreds of forums in my years using the internet, and I've never had my first posts held hostage or had to post a "signature" in a rule thread or post an intro just to join a forum.

A really twisted person, if s/he wants to hurt people that much, will take those same steps, too. And there are other ways of preventing automated spam that are more "classy".

TBH, if I were coming across catforum.com as a new member today, I'd probably be off-put by the so-called "draconian hoops", just because I'd see it as an indication that the forum was ruled by an iron fist and its members were scared villagers getting burninated throughout the countryside...

ETA: I agree with the need for an intro page to all new members or members looking to sign up that provides links for vet/emergency information.

Last edited by paperbacknovel; 07-20-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Thought of something else
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperbacknovel View Post
TBH, if I were coming across catforum.com as a new member today, I'd probably be off-put by the so-called "draconian hoops", just because I'd see it as an indication that the forum was ruled by an iron fist and its members were scared villagers getting burninated throughout the countryside...
Yep, agree with this statement 100%. Perfectly good potential members will simply go elsewhere rather than go though the loops currently in place. I guess it could be argued that its a good trade-off but I certainly don't think so.

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

Last edited by melysion; 07-20-2010 at 07:59 AM.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
the forum was ruled by an iron fist and its members were scared villagers getting burninated throughout the countryside..
You mean it's not?

I would agree with you Allie, to a point. However, it does weed out the people who just want to cause trouble. The two examples Marie gave are exactly why I am in agreement with this. I'm pretty hardened to such things normally, but even her descriptions made my stomach turn.

I agree that if people are desperate to join to get medical advice, we need someone to say "go see a vet". I am sure they do this anyway though.

The only downside I see is that people might be put off if their first post has something vaguely objectionable to one of the mods (which isn't mentioned in the rules), and gets a warning for it.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Its probably not worth us discussing it anyway as the decision has already been made. But I do think my points are very valid and I hope that they are at least taken into consideration.

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

Last edited by melysion; 07-20-2010 at 11:14 AM.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned

Well I still think preventing people from actually posting utterly despicable posts is a good thing.

If people are THAT desparate, then they'll do what's suggested. Or go to another cat forum. Despite what some people try and claim here, cf.com is not the only decent cat forum on the interweb.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Our new administrator is extremely cooperative and open to good ideas.

As far as a link for an emergency, all that could be done is to add the sentence, "If this is an emergency, please see a vet immediately." As Hugh said, they probably know to do that.

We used to have an emergency forum, but all the mods (years ago) and Catman thought it was a bad idea. We are not qualified.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page