issue regarding new member rules - Page 5 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icatguy View Post
Kinda depends what you mean when you say "good".

In terms of "community" you may be correct; I've noticed the established members here form a well-knit community of people who enjoy dialoguing with each other.

In terms of "help" I would have to disagree, as there are other forums and websites cat owners who need help can go and find experienced and knowledgeable replies for their cat questions.

In terms of "activity" I would also have to disagree, as again there are other forums where the level of activity is higher, where the dialogue is more intense, and so forth.

So, it all depends on what you want in your forum community. It seems that you, melysion, have found the best place for you, and more power to you for that. But some other place may be better for someone who's looking for something different. No place can be all things to all people. People tend to stay where they fit best. If too much needs to be carved off their psyches to make them fit, they become uncomfortable and look for a better fit elsewhere.
Exactly.

Don't worry, I'm not leaving, but certain things here have encouraged me to look for a more relaxed atmosphere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Tom Cat

After finally reading that "Welcome New Members - Please read first" thread, I'd have to agree - thats quite ridiculous.

In all of my years of being on forums and online communities (which is many), I have never seen things work this way. And while sure, doing things your own way is fine sometimes - You're making new members jump through too many hoops, when they're most likely here because they're in a very stresssful situation.

It's quite typical that new management comes in, and right away starts making unncessary changes to something that was already working just fine the way it was, and its human nature to be skeptical of changes. But as sound advice, don't change TOO much, TOO fast that you scare people off. I have seen this happen all too many times with great forums and online communities, to the point where a once great forum/community, shuts down because new management ran them all off. I'm not implying that will happen here, and I would certainly hope not - because regardless of the changes, this is still one of my favorite forums. But it can happen. And you already have long established members talking about seeking out other options. That should be of grave concern to you. And quickly dismissing members concerns, is not the way to handle things. Like I have seen the new admin reply to some members with "If you don't like it, don't look at it". If I was a new member, and saw the admin reply that way, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I wouldn't bother signing up. There's more professional and polite ways to reply to situations, even if they can not/will not be changed.

New members having to introduce themselves is quite silly. This isn't kindergarten. When I have a cat in need, and I'm seeking answers (even after a vet visit - yes, vets DO often leave you with alot of unanswered questions, or sometimes you just need moral support from someone that has gone through the same situation), it means I'm stressed and desperately trying to find help and answers to my specific questions. It also means that I don't want to sit and write out some happy thread about how I met my cats and/or where I'm from. Introductions usually come later, once members obtain the help they need, normally they stick around and post pictures and introductions. And if they don't, who cares? We may have helped a cat in need, and that alone satisfies me more than knowing where that person is from, or how they met their cats. Forcing introductions to be their first post, is a huge turn off to someone thats stressed and in need, and quite honestly - I would seek out a new forum if I was new and saw that.

Also, I'm the owner/operator of a well established popular online community in a virtual world. And I can speak from alot of years of experience, that sick and twisted individuals will go through the extremes of doing introductions and even establishing themselves as a known member, prior to making a sick psycho post. So forcing introductions will not stop someone thats on a psycho-path mission.

However, after Marie's explanation I do understand the need for moderators to approve at least their first posts, but again - telling them it can "take up to 48 hours", another huge turn off. Remember, when people are in need - they're in a state of panic. 48 hours can feel like a month when you're feeling that way. Whether it actually takes 48 hours or not, is not the point. You tell them it can take that long. Meanwhile, there are a million other forums out there, that they can get immediate answers on. Is that really what you want? I doubt it. So you're potentially chasing off future members with your "48 hour" rule. You have alot of well established members on this forum, so you can recruit more moderators in varying time zones if need be, so you can advertise a lower approval time frame, at the very least - it should be no more than 24 hours. Or you could even do away with the first-post approval rule, if you had enough mods to delete vile posts right away. You can never have too many moderators.

And I'll repeat yet again - Put the Rules/Terms of Service at the sign up process for them to click and agree to abide by, not in thread form. That just makes no sense whatsoever. It would save one unneccesary post to desperate new cat lovers seeking advice.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Nobody responded for 15 hours. So even if the posts are here and urgent, sometimes they don't get answered. That's the nature of a forum, I guess.

So I guess the "urgency" issue isn't really valid anymore.
One example does not a case make. You know theres been lots of urgent cases in the past whereby people have come here and got the answer 'go to the vet' very quickly.

I do hope a message saying 'please call a vet in an emergency' or similar is presented to new members as they sign up, if nothing else. Thats not difficult to implement. Nor is the tick box method of getting people to agree to the rules, rather than an ever increasing thread

Oh and I second everything Kattt is saying.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)

Last edited by melysion; 07-21-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Every user who signs up is sent an automatic "welcome PM." I have just made a modification to the PM to include this note:

"Also, if you're posting for help because of an emergency, please call a vet as your FIRST resource as it may take time to activate your account."
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Excellent news. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates this mate.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Excellent news. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates this mate.
Yep. I still have issues with the draconian activation rules, but this will at least help to alleviate my concerns regarding new people needing help ASAP.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Tom Cat

That is great news, and will be appreciated by those seeking help.

But you should still read and think about everything else I just said too. Keeping members (both new and old) happy is the key to a successful forum.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, it seems this thread has run it's course/purpose. I hope everyone can find some closure with it. Thanks for everyone's input that was constructive.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, didn't mean to close this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page