issue regarding new member rules - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

issue regarding new member rules

I understand why its been done, and I can see why it might be a good idea in theory, but I feel a little uncomfortable about the first three posts of a new member being moderated and getting them to sign the rules, like a contract.

Spam is a pain but it doesn't take much to hit the delete button. Yes, I do know how annoying it is for moderators (I've been there myself) but its all part and parcel of policing a forum, you know? And in any case, I think theres a more important issue regarding this.

I've seen a significant number of posts in the past here whereby you get a new member posting something about a desperately ill cat. People would then, for example, strongly suggest cat should be seen by a vet ASAP. Member does what is suggested, cat is saved.

If the first three posts of a new member is moderated, we wont ever be able to help desperate new people like this.

As I say, I completely understand why the new rules are in place, but it worries me just a bit, due to the example I've cited above.

I also think making people sign to say that have read the rules is just a tad draconian!!

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Melysion,

Thank you for your concerns. We (the mod/admin team) are doing everything we can to ensure that new users will not have to wait too long to have their threads/posts waiting in our queue to be approved. As for signing off on the new rules, the main part of it is to get new users to know that there are rules that they have to abide by in this community and also where to find them. If I had a nickel for every email I received from users asking me where the rules are OR saying they didn't mean to break the rules because they didn't know that they existed, well... I'd be off somewhere sipping drinks on a beach right now.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I do understand that. And I can certainly see the logic in getting people to sign the rules.

I guess its the moderation of the posts that is whats really bothering me. Why not state that a new person has to sign the rules within the first week or be kicked off and allow them freedom to post otherwise? Deleting spam cant be that big a deal, seriously, its not as if you are saving that much work for yourselves as you will have to pre-moderate the posts instead of deleting spam.

And why stipulate that the first post be to introduce themselves if the only thing a new person might have on their mind is getting help for their cat? I know we aren't responsible for these people, but these rules will potentially stop people from getting help soon enough for their furbabies.

Anyway, I've said my piece and will shut up now, but please consider what I'm saying. I think its important.

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

I believe the team in place right now will use good judgment and logic should the example you provided above surface from a new user. It is a tool to help us minimize the spam on this community but like most tools at our disposal, it does not cripple us from using logic and wisdom in certain situations.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

But there will still be a delay in that post asking for help appearing wont there. There aren't moderators in here 24 hours a day.

Oh well

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator

No there are not. At the same time, (and I might be wrong about this but I'm using logic here) I would hope that if someone had an emergency with their pet (to the life and death extent), the first place they would turn to is NOT an internet community. In the same token that mods/admins are not here 24 hours a day to approve the new posts, who's to say that there are members on here who can be of help for that particular situation?
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Cat Addict

Allie, you wouldn't believe the amount of spam we have had to deal with. It normally happens when we (you and me) are asleep and Marie is dealing with it all.

I have sometimes logged on in the mornings and been amazed at just how many threads have been removed and users banned. Sadly, it is a big problem.

I think we have been dealing with the new members quite well so far, if they haven't signed the rules, we will normally pm them as a reminder and it's sorted
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
No there are not. At the same time, (and I might be wrong about this but I'm using logic here) I would hope that if someone had an emergency with their pet (to the life and death extent), the first place they would turn to is NOT an internet community.
It has happened, and a significant number of times, since I've been a member.

Shrug. Its not for me to say how the forum should be run. I just think its a shame that pre-moderation of new members is considered necessary

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Cat Addict

I really get what Mely is saying. I've been a member here for a while, so I don't know what it looks like to "join" catforum with all the changes, but is there any way to immediately alert all new members of the need to seek medical attention for their ill pets from a vet and maybe offer links to emergency vet locator etc? How are we informing new members they need to sign the rules? Could we use a similar method to get this important message across.

I see where admin is coming from and LOGICALLY, an internet forum should not be the place to turn when you have a medical crisis with your pet, but lets face it, not everyone is logical in crisis situations.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

I, too, agree with Melysion and Kobster, for precisely the reasons they outline. If your intention is really just to ensure new members know the rules, then giving them a week to sign off on them or be bounced is surely sufficient, without holding their first three postings hostage.

Also, I'm a member of so many forums I've lost track of them all - and I have never had my posts held for this type of scrutiny, nor have I ever been forced to create an "introductory" post before I'm allowed to participate. I find that to be incredibly off-putting and would most likely NOT join a forum that ordered me to create such a post. I don't ever read intro forums so why should I be forced to post in one?

In fact, why should I be forced to post anything specific at all? This isn't high school, where the instructor gets to assign essays, this is an online forum that exists solely because it's members choose to speak to one another on topics that are of interest to them. Someone trying to get help transitioning their kitty onto a frankenprey diet doesn't care how many cats I have or what their names or habits or histories are, nor are they even going to enter the intro forum; they'll go to the raw food subforum.

And beyond that, unless you plan on requiring everyone to update their intros on an annual basis, those posts can be nothing more than snapshots of a current situation, useful for making new members prove to you that they really, really want to join this forum and are willing to jump through hoops to do so, but not much use for anything else.

Reading and signing off on the rules, I understand - but holding up members posts until they've done so and requiring that everyone create an intro before they can participate? "Draconian" indeed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page