1 New member, 2 new kitties - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

1 New member, 2 new kitties

Hello everyone! Well, like the title says: I am one new member, and I have two new kitties to share with you. I am recently a new cat owner (I was too young to remember raising my parent's last cat), and I like having a "support group" to share stories and ask for advice about my new little ones. I have already perused some of the posts/threads and photo albums on this site, and I believe I will really enjoy the time I spend here! Now, let me tell you a little about my two fluffballs:

I adopted "Pumpkin" on Good Friday of this year from a shelter. My sister and I spent almost 2 hours playing with a 6-week old litter of kittens before deciding on Pumpkin, a little calico tabby- or Caliby as I like to call her... She was the spunkiest of the females in her litter (Pumpkin & her brother spent most of their time climbing up the sides of the cage to ninja attack each other). Pumpkin adjusted quickly to her new home, and I soon learned that she is completely fearless... well, automobiles don't count!! She started developing some behavioral issues like biting & severe scratching; one vet told me this was just her personality, and another that she just wasn't socialized. Thankfully, after my flatmate & I cat-sat a friends adult male, Pumpkin's behaviors improved drastically. So, we started the search for a new brother or sister for Pumpkin...

After testing a female adult cat and a female 10 month kitten, we realized that Pumpkin just prefers the boys & an easygoing but playful personality. Enter Simone. I found 8 week old Simone at the same shelter a couple of weeks ago. He was white with very light cream point markings, eyes so blue they almost look violet, and medium/long fur. In the past two weeks that I've had him, his points have darkened to an orangey tan color, and his fur is getting more cream colored. My flatmate & I are thinking that he is a ragamuffin mix (if you have any opinions on the subject, please let me know). Anyways, they are getting along very well- they play, eat and sleep together- it is the cutest thing I have ever seen!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catforum1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	1214  

Name:	catforum2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	1215  

Name:	catforum4.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	1216  

Name:	catforum3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	1217  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:32 AM
Kitten

Wow I really love your cat with the dots! I think that is awesome and it looks like a Cheetah! I would like to adopt a cat like that when I get my 2 cats!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Jr. Cat

They are beautiful and seem very happy together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:50 AM
Kitten

Hey what type of cat is that with the spots?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Premier Cat

You have two beautiful kitties....just stunning!
Pumpkin's color is Brown Patched Tabby & White, or often called Brown Torbie & White. Definitely not Calico, as they're mainly white with black and orange patches.

Simone looks like a Red Colorpoint Shorthair.
Colorpoint Shorthair Cat Breed Info

Last edited by catloverami; 07-18-2010 at 08:15 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

thank you!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigone21 View Post
They are beautiful and seem very happy together!
thanks- I got lucky when I found them- they make me laugh everyday
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post
Hey what type of cat is that with the spots?
Catloverami corrected me- Pumpkin is a brown torbie with white, in other words, tortoiseshell coloring but with a tabby pattern. She's not a calico because she does not have white spots intermingled with her colored spots.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
You have two beautiful kitties....just stunning!
Pumpkin's color is Brown Patched Tabby & White, or often called Brown Torbie & White. Definitely not Calico, as they're mainly white with brown and orange patches.

Simone looks like a Red Colorpoint Shorthair.
Colorpoint Shorthair Cat Breed Info
Thank you for the information- the shelter & internet mislead me on Pumpkin's coloring pattern!

As for Simone, I have wondered if he had a bit of Siamese in him, but can Siamese have longer fur? The pictures might be misleading, but he definitely has medium to long length fur. He also has tufts coming out of his ears (furnishings I believe they are called) and his feet. I cannot tell if his tail will get bushy until he is older though (he is only 10 weeks old currently). Also, I don't know if this means anything, but I noticed that his fur has been darkening to a creamy color over the past couple days? Thanks for your help!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Premier Cat

Well, if he's longhair, and looking at the pics, his tail does look bushier than a shorthair's, then he's Balinese or Javanese. According to CFA (Cat Fanciers' Assoc.) in May 1, 2008 they made Javanese which previously had "separate breed status", and included red points, to being a division of Balinese. Take your pick! It does seem a little confusing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page