selby again here - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Post selby again here

One of the reasons I have introduced myself and joined Cat Forum is to find some information on two of my foster kittens...i have to give them back soon and i am trying to write their little bios..which include a physical description...well one is a tortoiseshell, one is a white with tabby, one is a red tabby with mittens, one is red tabby with white, one is a tortie with white, and two are a colour pattern i am unfamiliar with. we thought one was pure black and his brother pure black and white...but there are now these gorgeous classic tabby markings showing through the black...slightly grey/silver...very pretty and good for the kittens, as black and black and white kittens and cats tend to wait the longest for adoption. but i do not know what to call them..they are not like any tabby i have seen. so i am looking for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Premier Cat

Got photos?
Your two kittens are probably black and their Classic tabby pattern is showing as a "ghost pattern".

ALL cats are tabby cats, carrying some variation and/or combination(s) of Abyssinian, Classic and Mackerel. What is required for their tabby pattern to be readily visible is the "Agouti" gene.
With agouti, you get vivid tabby patterns.
Without agouti, you get solid colored cats.
Some color breeds have bred agouti out of their gene-pool, like the traditional Siamese breeds, Russian Blues, Korats, Chartreaux and British Blue Shorthair. Some Siamese breeders have introduced agouti back into the breed and a new classification was created for registration/showing and they are called "Colorpoint", a registry for the 'unaccepted' Siamese colors and markings of red, tortie and lynx.

Generally, if a cat carries agouti (AA or Aa) they will be vividly and unmistakably marked. If they do not carry agouti (aa) you can sometimes see the ghost markings of their tabby pattern in their solid coat.

A side note:
Agouti affects only black-based coats by banding hair-shafts in alternating colors. All red cats, whether they carry agouti or not, will show their tabby patterns. Longhair coats will be more difficult to discern and some breeders have worked very hard to breed cats whose red coats are very uniform in color to appear solid red with little visual evidence of the tabby pattern the red cat carries.
This is also why many Black/Red Torties (no agouti) will still show their tabby pattern in their red fur.

Check out this topic discussing and showing examples of agouti, smoke and other genes that govern and affect hair-coat and pattern.
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54570

heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page