Which kitty to get?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Which kitty to get??

I'm looking to get a kitten or maybe a pair of kittens for me and my boyfriend. He just wants a black one and as all cats are somehow drawn to him i dont think it would matter which breed we got. However, I think he would like an independent cat that comes and goes quite a lot and doesnt need much human contact.
I would like maybe more of an indoor cat that likes to follow me around, get involved in everything and likes lots of 'cuddles' and human attention. Also definatley we would both like quite playful cats.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give on which breed(s) would be best for us. If we get 2 kittens at the same time would they have to be siblings?
Also I have never owned a Cat before so some tips on what to look for when viewing kittens would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I love black cats, so I would pick the friendliest one there!

Don't forget to sign the rules. Check the Introduction! Welcome.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Kitten

I like tabbies. I got a tabby when she was a kitten and she's been a great pet. I suggest getting one kitten first so you can learn the workload involved in keeping and maintaining a cat, and if that works well for you you should get another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Jr. Cat

If you are wanting to get two, it is possible to find one that is more independent and one that is more people oriented. My Sassy enjoys a lot of alone time, while Buddy seldom leaves my side. And they adore each other, so it is possible to have 2 seemingly different cats get along well. And no, they don't have to be siblings. Buddy and Sassy aren't. Although, if you decide on two that are strangers, make sure to research how best to introduce them to each other.

I know very little about specific breeds, as all the cats I or my family have had were rescues or strays. Check out some local rescue agencies. Adoption coordinators can do wonders with introducing you to the cats you are hoping for. Meet a few before you decide. I firmly believe you know when a cat is right for you and the cat knows it, too.

Best of luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Cool Cat

The personalities you described sound a lot like my two kittens I have now. It is hard to tell personality just by the breed, so it is probably best to spend a few hours at a shelter playing and interacting with some kittens. If you want to get both kittens at the same time, they will have to be kept separated until they are FIV/FELV tested. In general, you can judge playfulness when meeting the kittens. Calico colored cats are sometimes known to be independent as well as having an attitude (which can make them a little harder to "train" but loads of entertainment). Persians and ragdolls are considered "lap cats," but this will not ring true for all cats of those breeds. Siamese and siamese mixes are also pretty needy, but I wouldn't suggest them if you dislike meowing. Overall, your best bet is really to pay a visit to the shelter kitties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page