New Kitten and Questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New Kitten and Questions

I have a 3 month old calico kitten. We found her alone on the side of the road at about 5 weeks of age, when we got her she was not able to open either of her eyes and she was bleeding from her privates. I'm pleased to say, though, that none of my questions have to do with her health. After a number of Vet visits, She is now in good health and has more energy than I can keep up with!

She is a very loving cat - she purrs when someone comes home and meows when they leave. She follows us from room to room. When I wake up in the morning she sits outside the shower while I bathe and sits at my feet while I shave!

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't had a cat in the household since I was very little.

1. I live in an apartment with radiators. We obviously don't have it on right now, but will this be alright come winter time?

2. How do I get her to use a scratching pad? We bought her one of those ball track toys with the scratch pad in the middle; she loves the ball but only uses the pad to sit on while she paws at the ball.

3. How can I get her to stop climbing legs/furniture? It can be cute at times, but those claws can hurt (and ruin clothes)!

4. Sometimes, she arches her back, turns sideways, and hops around. I've always thought this was a sign of being threatened, but she does this when she plays. Is this a normal part of play, or does she worry?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Premier Cat

It's good to hear your little one is in good health. As for your questions:

1. I don't have radiators, but my basement is quite cold in the winter, so I have both electric baseboard heaters and a gas fireplace (on top of the normal heat). My two cats don't bother with either the heaters or the fireplace. So, I doubt you'll have any problems, although you should keep an eye on her when you first turn them on.

2. My cats rarely use the scratching pad on the turbo track. They only use the scratching posts on their cat trees. If your budget and space will allow, I would invest in a cat tree (even a smaller one) with at least one scratching post. Alternatively, try a larger, stand-up scratching post.

3. Once she has a scratching post she likes, she might stop climbing other things. I'm fortunate in that my two only ever scratch their posts and nothing else. As for climbing legs, I suggest each time she tries, you (or whomever she's climbing) just pick her up and put her in your (their) lap. Also, try to keep her claws trimmed on a regular basis.

4. Kittens do this movement when they want to play...so, no worries.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Cool Cat

I call #4 the "halloween cat" pose One of my kittens (Pumpkin ironically) used to run up to me, bite & or scratch me, & then do this pose...I think she was trying to pick a play-fight with me!! The sneak attacks stopped when I got another kitten to keep her company- thank goodness!! She still likes to pose & make spitting noises at the ceiling fan though; she could probably take it in a fight...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Tom Cat

#4 Rowdy does this too! We Call it "Jazz Hands" or "Thriller". We have never had a cat who does this and we crack up every time he does it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm glad to hear that the 'halloween' pose is just her playing! My uncle builds cat trees and such so I'm going to have him build me one, so she'll have a scratching post one way or another.

Another question I thought of...

We have a lot of electronics and our cat likes to play around (not with) the wires. She's not playing with them directly as I said, but it worries me that she could electrocute herself. How can I discourage her from hanging out around the wires?

Also, I will try to post a couple pictures when I can!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Tom Cat

As for the wires, any home improvement store will sell this plastic covering that slips over any cords. We have to kitten proof our house and this took 5 minutes and was dirt cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page