Another newbie :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Another newbie :)

Greetings from Illinois!

I have joined the forums to hopefully learn a little bit more about why our kitties are behaving the way they are. We have 5.

First is Mr S. He is the alpha male, and the one who was here before the kid, therefore he thinks he is our firstborn. I rescued him while flying patients out of flooded hospitals in Biloxi after Hurricane Katrina. The Humane Society was there and had a truck bed where they were throwing all the dead/dying cats. Then another for adoptable ones. I took 4 few day old kittens from the discard pile and shoved them in my flight suit. The HS woman went ballistic and started lecturing me, then demanded I give her the kittens back. I handed her 3 kittens, and left the 4th inside my suit. Once we got airborne I tube fed him IV fluids and infant formula. Obviously, he made it He is a neutered male and was declawed the traditional way before I learned how barbaric the procedure is.

Next is the Calibrator. Callie came to us when her original home decided they wanted a bull mastiff and not a cat anymore. She was also urinating inappropriately there, so it was an easy throwaway for them. She settled into our home just fine. She is fat and happy, and sleeps in her window seat pretty much all day. She is about 7 yrs old, declawed and spayed.

Next is Puma. I got to the vet's office one morning before they opened, and saw a kitten playing in the bushes under their deck. Turns out someone had dumped 4 kittens there the night before. We found homes for her siblings and kept her. She needed surgery for a stomach defect when she was about a year old, and I had to do her pain shots. As a result, she hates me. I am very rarely allowed to touch her, she generally runs when she sees me. It's been 3 years. Fortunately she adores my husband and gets her snuggles from him. She is also spayed and laser declawed.

Next is Big Head. (That is what happens when you let a toddler name your new kitten...) Our neighbor had a feral cat give birth in her window well. Then we came home and saw a lactating female dead by the road, so I took a mixing bowl and brought home 8 one week old kittens. After many many *many* bottle feedings, we found homes for 7 of them and kept our favorite, BH. He thinks he is a person. He is neutered and laser declawed.

Last is The Doctor, aka Dr Pepper. He has the least interesting story. He was in the shelter adoption rack at Petsmart and was trying to paw at my daughter through the acrylic and she fell in love. He is about a year old, neutered and laser declawed.

And that is all. We had taken in a 26 pound Maine Coon named Billy for a few months but he wouldn't stop bullying the Calibrator. He had his claws, and we felt it would be unfair to delcaw him as an adult. So he went back to his original owner, and she sent him to live with her mom.

Looking forward to meeting some new folks and learning more!

Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I can't believe I forgot to mention Fluffy! He is BH's father, and is feral. We have tried to trap him numerous times, but he is never hungry enough/stupid enough to go in the trap to get the food. We put wet food out for him every other day, but what he really likes is catching the little birds at our birdfeeder and helping himself. He is amazingly fast!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen him since our big blizzard 72 hours ago. I have wet and dry food out for him, but it's not touched. There are tracks in the snow, but hard to tell if it's from him or not.

Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page