Please help!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Please help!!!

I have recently adopted two 10 month old kittens from a recuse centre, Lottie and Ruben. They had both been mistreated, malnutritioned and kept among another 15 cats in a small two up two down and left to do there business everywhere. We have had them now for 4 weeks and Ruben the male cat has settled in a treat and is loving our rural location and having lots of love and attention but sadly Lottie is petrified. She will only come out at night for food when we are asleep and will go to any lengths to avoid us. I understand that some cats like to be left to get on with their own thing but the lengths she goes to too avoid us are upsetting and I just wish she would see how much love and care her brother gets and come involved.

Please can anyone help and advise on how we can get her to understand we are not here to hurt her and we only want to love and look after her

Please help!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Itís great that Ruben has adjusted so well to his new home, particularly given his history, although Iím sorry to hear about Lottie. Iím not sure how much help I can be, but to avoid my suggesting things that arenít even applicable, it would be helpful to know a bit more about Lottieís current situation and what sheís doing during the day. Is she in a safe room or does she have the run of the house? Is she avoiding you by walking away or out of the room when you come in, or is she hiding under the bed all day? Is your household relatively quiet or is there a lot of activity, kids running around, etc.? Perhaps you can give a bit more detail when you have a chance.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Jr. Cat

Maybe she is not used to people, she doesn't trust people. Something must have happened to her to get her think this way, but heh, I'm afraid only patience is the key. Some cats are as you said aloof and avoyd contact with people.
My cousin had 2 cats, one was very friendly and another was scared to death to get in contact and she kept hidding in the cellar. It took my cousin a few years to convince her to let him touch her and she was never a lap cat.
A good sign would be in your case if she would come eat in front of you, that shows a great deal of trust.
Glad her brother is so happy however. Wish you to enjoy both of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Kitten

Lottie sounds like my old cat, Myra. She was an older kitten when we adopted her, and a total sweetheart until we got her home. She hid under the house for weeks, perhaps months, only coming out at night to eat. She never did warm up to other animals and had to be fed separately her entire life. She was a very sweet cat, though, and quite affectionate toward me. She needed special care and attention, but it was totally worth it.

At any rate, Myra did eventually come around and learn to live IN the house, rather than under it. It was a matter of letting her make the moves when she was ready, and always being happy to see her when she did pop in to check things out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:15 AM
Tom Cat

I look forward to hearing more about the situation! I just wanted to encourage you. Cats are all such different personalities and react differently. I know someone who was in a similar boat. The kittens were mistreated and found when their mean people shoved them in a can to throw into the river. The little girl is a very outgoing personality. It took her about a week to stop being scared and rule the roost. The little boy, however, is naturally more reserved and this experience made him shrink even more into that part of his personality. It has taken them a couple of months for him to completely trust them. They experienced the same situation, but responded in different ways. It's worth the wait for the more stoic kitties and the boy kitten adores his people now. He doesn't trust strangers, but that's ok. I hope this gives you some hope and encouragement. Welcome to the forums!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Cat Addict

What lottie needs is lots of time and patience. I'm in a time crunch right now, but if you search for threads on here about socializing feral cats, you will find a wealth of information that will be very helpful.

I have a feral kitten rescue here right now so I feel your pain. It is a slow slow painstaking process. But I promise, once she has that lightbulb moment and she trusts you, it will all be worth it.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page