Hello - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello

Let me introduce myself. I am Rita and i have 2 kittens i rescued from the animal control. They are about 10 and 11 months old. They are great cats. Accept lately Oscar the 11 month old has been acting like a dennis the menace. He has knocked over things broken light outlets and biting many things like my internet cable. I am in florida right now i go back and forth to new york anyway i have a screen in pool area and i let both Oscar and Junior run around in there ( i keep an eye on them). One day Oscar fell in the pool. Then he jumped on the kitchen cabinets and broke a bottle and the bottle fell on the countertop and chipped the countertop. He is so hard headed and stubborn. Will he change and he turns into an adult cat? What can i do to get him more compliant to my rules? Junior listens very well. He is the model child. i would like to get Oscar to be the same or at least listen a little bit. Thank you, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome! Most cats settle down as they get older, but there's only so much you can do to get them to obey rules. Often you can be successful with rules when you're home...but doing so when you're away is less likely. I tend to keep my counters clear, so as not to provide any incentive for my cats to jump up on them and/or so that they aren't able to get into anything even if they do jump up (although since there's not much up there, they rarely go on them). It also sounds like Oscar might be bored...perhaps because you're away a lot and he's on his own (or with Junior). Doing things to channel his energy in a more acceptable manner would be helpful, such as providing places where he is allowed to climb (cat trees, etc.). Perhaps others here will have other ideas.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

wow thank you very much for your input. I am looking to get them a tree house. Do you have any sites you recommend? I already tried giving Oscar a ball with treats in it that was recommended but he didn't care for it. i am willing to trying anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum. Try giving him more cat toys since he's still young. When we adopted Francis when he was around your cats age, we got a lot of toys, even cat gyms.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Oscar has every toy you can think of but instead of playing with all the toys he plays with plastic water bottle caps. I just bought the boys a tree house.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Premier Cat

I hope they enjoy their tree house. My girls love their cat trees. They have a few and they're all located beside windows. They spend a lot of time watching the squirrels these days. I have a bird feeder that I'm going to install outside one of their windows this summer...no doubt that will amuse them.

I find the best toys for them to play with by themselves are simple things, such as bottle caps (like you mentioned), the small toy catnip mice, crumpled up pieces of paper, old boxes and the like. My girls don't care for the treat balls. I use Kleenex boxes once they're empty. I put a few healthy treats inside and they put their paws between the plastic (where the Kleenex normally come out) and try to fish the treats out. That keeps them amused for a while...and there's no cost.

I also have a cupboard or a closet in most rooms that are cat safe (contain things that can't hurt them and things that they can't hurt). I open a different closet or cupboard once every few days and let them explore. They love to do that. And I try to play with them at least twice a day for 10 or 15 minutes at a time...their favorite toy is Da Bird.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Kitten

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiewaffle
my little man was just like that when he was a kitten.... me and him would fight just like a mom and son would. lol once i had him neutered, after a year or less, he calmed down quite a bit.
however, him being part siamese, he still has that wild independent streak in him. so to help with that, i do like mentioned above. he has a cat tree, a little sister (lol), catnip toys, etc. i even have him a stroller i take him outside with me. he LOVES that and it calms him down greatly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page