Hiya, cat help please! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Hiya, cat help please!

Hello
this is my third intro entry so that i can get activated. Thanks.
I have some questions about ragdolls and other things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Cat Addict

Hello amelia100, and welcome! Have you ever had cats before?
The best thing to do is to pick a cat personality that fits with your situation. I always think it is best to go to a shelter and let the cat choose you. There are so many that need homes!

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Amelia and welcome! Ask away. We have a few people with Ragdolls here, including myself...we're happy to try to answer your questions as best we can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

hello

Hiya, thankyou.
I think i'll post my questions on the main thread now. (If i'm allowed yet).
Thanks
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hi again

yes i've had a persian chinchilla before.
I'd like to know that if I get a ragdoll, if i should get two, or if i should get another type of cat as well as the ragdoll, and if so, what other indoor cat would be appropriate?

Is it best to get a brother and a sister or two unrelated kittens from different breeds?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Premier Cat

Whether or not you should have one cat or two depends on whether you prefer one or two, and whether you have the necessary time and financial resources for one or two. Most Ragdolls, like most cats, can typically be happy as either an only cat or with another cat (particularly if the new cat is adopted when both are at a very young age).

If you do decide to get a second cat, then you could get another Ragdoll or any other breed of cat. The most important thing when getting a second cat is to try to match the personality of the first cat. So, if the first cat is shy, get another shy cat (of any breed). If the first cat is active, get another active cat (again breed doesn't matter).

Finally, if you're going to adopt two kittens at the same time, then two littermates would normally get along very well. But, two kittens not from the same litter adopted at the same time will typically also get along pretty easily too, assuming they're both very young when you adopt them. You should ensure that both kittens are spayed/neutered as soon as possible, particularly if one is a boy and one is a girl. Even if they're brother and sister, they will mate when their "time comes".

In short, you should really think about what you want. Do you want a second cat? And, if so, would you like two Ragdolls or one Ragdoll and one cat of another breed? Your Ragdoll will likely be happy either way...particularly if you adopt two young kittens at the same time.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Tom Cat

Amelia,
Welcome! I know nothing about ragdolls other than the fact that they're gorgeous.

I do know something about getting one kitten or two. As you can see from my signature, I got two.

It's important to remember that two kittens cost twice as much. Twice as much litter, twice as much food (and kittens eat A LOT!!!!), twice as many vet expenses. Sounds obvious - but it's really important to consider before making the jump from getting one to getting two!!

If you can afford the cost of keeping two kittens, I highly recommend it. Our two kittens are brother and sister. They play together, groom each other, and cuddle together. We love having both of them! However, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to get kittens that are littermates. We adopted our two kittens, and the foster mom told us that any of the kittens she was fostering would get along well with any of the others. We just wanted to keep our brother and sister pair together, so it was a personal decision. Many places have cats or kittens that they call "bonded pairs" - they get along so well that the volunteers or staff want them to stay together.

Spencer and Katie
and Lily, always in our hearts
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat

hi

Hey guys, thanks very much for the info. I'm pretty sure I want two cats, in fact I'm tempted to get three, (maybe one rescue cat or something) and two ragdolls, or one ragdoll and one other breed. However, Maybe two cats would be enough for me right now, considering the expense. Haha, i love them so much I could fill my house with them! LOL.

By the way, when can i start posting on the main chat forum??
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Susan, i'm assuming those are ragdolls in your pics? Oh god they are so beautiful and why i want one! Actually, the one on the far right has a face very similar to my persian chinchilla. He was beyond stunning and was my one true love! haha.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia100 View Post
Susan, i'm assuming those are ragdolls in your pics? Oh god they are so beautiful and why i want one! Actually, the one on the far right has a face very similar to my persian chinchilla. He was beyond stunning and was my one true love! haha.
Thanks! The two pictures on the left are both pictures of Muffs...she's a purebred Ragdoll. The two pictures on the right are both pictures of Abby...she's a Ragdoll/Persian mix, which might explain why she reminds you of your persian chinchilla. The picture in my avatar is Neko, my grandkitty (my daughter's cat)...he's a DSH.

Interestingly, Ragdolls are reputed to be lapcats and very cuddly. Muffs (the purebred Ragdoll) HATES laps. Abby will sit on my lap for about 2 minutes a day, IF she feels like it. And Neko (the DSH) is the cuddliest little guy you could ever meet...he would spend all day on my daughter's lap if he could!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page