Help, I've forgotten how to use my litter tray! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Help, I've forgotten how to use my litter tray!

Hi all,

My eight month old kitty Shatner was litter trained when I got him. At first he used an open tray, and then switched to a hooded one, which worked great apart from him no longer bothering to cover his shame.

I moved the tray outside about six weeks ago, mainly because of the smell, and also because I had a flap installed. He still used it fine and began to explore too. After about two weeks he stopped using the tray, and a week later I removed it.

About ten days passed, and his behaviour changed. It seems like he ran into something or someone outside that scared him because he wouldn't go outside, and ended up doing a poo and some wee in the shower, which I feel was pretty considerate actually. He has also done one on the bed.

The last shower poo he did, he waited until I got home before doing it. (Cute!) Apart from that he has been exactly as affectionate and cuddly as before.

I have reinstated the litter tray where it was outside but he won't use it unless I take him to it, which I do daily with rewards, and I'm probably going to try bringing it back inside if he doesn't start doing it for himself in the next few days.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems? How did you overcome them?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Kitten

How does he get outside when he has to go? It's not really safe for kitties to be outside. There are a lot of dangers to him there. My advice would be to bring the litter box back inside and try using Cat Attract litter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

He has a flap in the window that gets him in and out that I got put in because he was desperate to go outside.

I think I probably am going to bring it inside because he has just this second tried to go on the bed again. Maybe once he's totally comfortable using it indoors he won't mind so much outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Cat

Litter boxes smell when they are dirty.

Cats won't use dirty litter boxes.

Take the hood off (it holds in odors and many cats hate closed litter boxes) and keep the box clean, and in the house, an add another box. Many cats prefer one box to pee and one to poop.

If the problem continues, bring him to the vet.

Litter box avoidance can happen for several reasons: dirty boxes, not enough boxes, doesn't like the box (such as enclosed), location of the box (not easy to get to, in too busy an area)....but most often it is because of illness.

A male cat can block suddenly from a UTI and once blocked will die within 24 hours without veterinary attention. Me, I'd take him to the vet in addition to making the changes I recommended.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykonstar View Post
He has a flap in the window that gets him in and out that I got put in because he was desperate to go outside.

I think I probably am going to bring it inside because he has just this second tried to go on the bed again. Maybe once he's totally comfortable using it indoors he won't mind so much outside.

This sounds like illness to me. He can't tell you he is sick so he pees where you will notice.

UTIs can be caused by dirty litter boxes, or a cat holding his pee because he doens't like the box or it's location.

Please bring your cat to the vet without delay.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Kitten

Very considerate indeed - now just get him to switch from the shower to the toilet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page