Hi, I'm new and in need of advice! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi, I'm new and in need of advice!

Hi,
I have a russian white cat called Jizzy, she had a litter of 3 kittens 2 weeks ago.
She is a typical russian white with the most perfect temperment and is an amazing mum!
Up until tonight everything has been perfect with the kittens, Jizzy purred all the way through their birth! She even had them in her nest without me having to prompt her.
I was with her while she had them and everything was fine, although I only pick them up to change the blankets in her nest and check they are ok she is completely happy with that and never gets upset, she has been the perfect mum cat!
They have all been healthy and have tripled in size already. They already have their eyes open and are moving around, allbeit very shakily!

But tonight while they were feeding she has just taken one of them upstairs to the spare bedroom and into a box in the wardrobe. She has stayed with him and he is feeding now but she has been meowing alot which she never does.
Her nest is in the corner in the living room and there are loads of quiet corners alot easier to get to than the wardrobe upstairs!

She has left the other 2 kittens downstairs asleep.

Do you think this is normal or could there be something wrong?
I dont know whether to ring the vet or not but as its very late and we life quite a long way from them I just wanted some advice on whether I am over reacting or not!

Has anybody had a cat do this before? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum! I can't answer that question, but I do like to see pictures. Maybe she's just trying to be a good mom. I don't know... *shrugs*
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Premier Cat

Are you a breeder of Russians or was this an 'accident'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Cool Cat

I've never raised kittens from that young, but please keep the kittens warm. Also, don't they feed every couple of hours at that age? If she hasn't gone back for them by the morning, I might be worried that she has "rejected" them. In that case, they would need some other way of getting milk. I would definitely call the vet tomorrow if she is still acting strange around the other two kittens. There are some other people here that would know much better than me- hopefully they will log on today!

Please keep us updated & good luck!

Additionally, is there anything different about the 3rd kitten that she took upstairs? Is he larger/smaller than the rest?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Tom Cat

If she hasn't already, take the two other kittens to her chosen nest. Something about the other one no longer feels safe to her.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Are you a breeder of Russians or was this an 'accident'?
Not to sound rude, but what does this have to do with what she's asking? Accident or not, this behavior is worrying her.

----------
Renée
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Kitten

I am not a expert, nor "qualified" but i would move them to the nest myself and see if she takes them back.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Premier Cat

If she is a first time mother she may abandon some or all of her kittens. Mother cat will abandon kittens that something is wrong with or sometimes the mom is just too young.

You need to have a heating pad in her box where she keeps her kittens. Also kittens need to nurse every 2-3 hours at first. If she abandons them then you need to start bottle feeding them. So dont let them go too many hours without nursing or they will die.

Cat do move their kittens around esp out of door cats. They dont want the scent of them to be too strong so preditors could kill them.

It wouldnt hurt to have your mom and kittens in to see your vet. Do a well baby check up.

If you end up bottle feeding them you also have to take a warm rag and help them pee and poo after eating. The mother does this by licking them so a warm rag gently rub on thier privates will help them do this.

It is very important you do this last step if you end up bottle feeding them.

Its also important you give your mom kitty lots of high quality soft kittens food and water and KMR or goats milk to keep her milk coming in.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Cat

Did the mother take the kittens back? Did everything work out?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Kitten

Cats often move kittens when they start moving around because they might be worried it's not safe enough where they are (now that they are moving). A cupboard is a favourite place to have & raise kittens. She's upset cause she is still new to this & she wants them all there but now that she's moved one she doesn't want to leave it by itself in the new spot, but she can't be there & fetch the others too. So take them to her & make sure they are warm & drinking, she will love you for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page