hello from Iowa - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

hello from Iowa

Hi my name is Susan. I have an 11 year old DD named Olivia and some betta fish. Tomorrow I am picking up our new kitties. We are so excited!

They are siamese and brothers. They were born Jan 23rd, so I think that makes them about 9 weeks. I wish I could have waited a few more weeks but it was not possible. I haven't had cats in awhile so I have some questions and would love advice and input.

First, they are being fed Kitten Chow. EWW. I really want to get them on a mostly wet diet with dry as free feed. I plan on rotating the wet between Wellness, Merrick, Natural Balance (?), and maybe Taste of the Wild (?). I want to go as grain free as possible. And for dry I was thinking Merrick Before Grain or Wellness Core. Or I got some samples of NB Alpha. Does that sound good? Of those brands, which are the best? And how should I go about introducing the wet and new dry food. Should I wait a few days to a week before switching to let them settle in?

Second, they are supposed to be dewormed and first round of shots. What exactly does that mean and what should I ask the lady when I pick them up? What vaccines do they really need? They will be strictly indoor cats.

Third, are there any toys or supplies that are must haves or favorites for kitties? We have two scratching posts, tons of balls and soft toys, some crinkley, two cat tunnels, some wand toys, a mat with fireflies that light up, a cat tree, a turbo scratcher, and cat ' n' mouse. Are there any favorites we missed? Also, do cats use beds? What kind do they prefer?

And last, how can we make the transition to their new home as stress free as possible?

Sorry this was so long and if the questions were no brainers. I just want to have healthy and happy kitties. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome, Susan!

Holy cow, you have the toys covered, girl!! Cats of every age love boxes. And paper bags.

They should start out in a small room for the first couple of days. When I brought Cleo, then the twins, then Gigi home, they all had the extra bedroom to themselves. Of course, I had to worry about introducing them to the other cats, too.

Siamese brothers!!!!! You're sooo lucky! I remember when the twins were that tiny. Take lots of pictures, they grow up so quickly.

I would take them to the vet for a new kitty check-up right away. Your vet can tell you what shots they need and about the deworming.

The foods you mention are good choices.

I can't wait for pictures!!!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome! I agree with Marie's comments. As for how to transition them to new food...when I adopted Abby, she was on the equivalent of Kitten Chow. For the dry food, I did a slow transition from her old brand to the new brand, over about 3 days. After the 3 days, I just started giving her wet food for every meal. I left a bit of the new dry out when I was at work all day and she was alone. Looking forward to pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the quick replies. I don't think I got more than a couple of hours of sleep. I'm so excited! I feel like I'm forgetting some really vital necessity, and I'll be like DOH.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you for the advice. I just brought them home. They are still in the carrier. They are adorable! As soon as they are out and about I will send some pics. And as soon as I can post them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page