New here and potetially new cat owner soon! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

New here and potetially new cat owner soon!

Hey everyone!

I just joined this forum because I wanted to ask some new and long time cat owners what their experience with cats has been like.

For about the past month I've really been considering getting a cat. I've visited a shelter and played with the cats, but have still not made up my mind. I know I would LOVE the companionship and warmth of a cat and I would give it so much love, but I also want to make sure I will be able to take good care of it and that I won't have to completely change my lifestyle around.

Here's a little about me (and why I've been looking into getting a cat):
I graduated from college a year ago and have currently been working and living on my own. I met my boyfriend in college and we've been dating ever since (5 years) and are both in the same location now. However, I'm starting graduate school in the fall back in NJ, which is where I'm from. It's about an 8 hour drive from where my boyfriend will still be, so we'll be doing long distance for a while. I've always loved dogs and cats and thought now would be a good opportunity to adopt. For the remaining months before school, I'll have time to bond with my cat and get to know it and train it if I have to, and then once school starts, it'll be a good buddy to comfort me especially when I'm missing my boyfriend. I hope you guys don't take it as I'm just getting a cat to replace my boyfriend and once we're in the same place again, I'll ditch the cat. Definitely not the case! My boyfriend likes cats as well

Anyways, I had a bunchhhh of questions for people who already own cats. Like I said, I want to be prepared if I actually do decide to adopt.

1. How many of you have been scratched by your cats? Is it a common thing for cats to scratch their owners? I read some stories about how a person turns over when they're sleeping and bumps the cat and the cat just freaks out!
2. Where do you guys put your litter boxes?
3. How often do you wash the cat? Or is there even a need to give it a bath?
4. If I get a cat now and then move in a few months, will that be a problem for the cat? Or do they adapt rather easily?
5. Once the cat gets to know me and we bond, will it be a problem if I'm not at home for 10+ hours at a time?
6. Do the cats jump into your food and try to eat your food?
7. How often do you trim your cat's nails and is it difficult?
8. Is it better to get a kitten or cat if you're a first time cat owner?

I know I have more questions, but that's all I can think of now! Sorry if some of these questions are a little silly, but remember I'm a first time owner! I've also asked friends and other people most of these questions, but it's good to get more opinions and advice. Also, I know each cat is different so a lot of the answers just depends on the cat, but I guess just tell me what your cat is like

Thanks guys! Any advice would be veeery much appreciated! Looking forward to hearing back from you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Premier Cat

I think that all responses are going to depend on the personality of the cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantakitty View Post
1. How many of you have been scratched by your cats? Is it a common thing for cats to scratch their owners? I read some stories about how a person turns over when they're sleeping and bumps the cat and the cat just freaks out!
If I don't keep his nails trimmed I'm always getting snagged and scratched (like a briar thorn scratch). It stings a bit but I wash it right away and put antibacterial stuff on it and I've never had a problem. MowMow sleeps under my head as a pillow and I think that i could roll all over him and he'd never even wake up. He would certainly never hurt me out of anger. If I've ever hurt him by accident he just gives a painful squeek to let me know I've hurt him.
Quote:
I have a sparebedroom with a large walk in closet. I store computer boxes, old files, my fireproof safe and other junk in there. His litter box is in there inside a large cardboard box set on it's side (so he can scratch at the side of the box and not the walls in his defective way of covering his mess) and a flattened box laid down in front of it to catch the litter as he exits. I keep the door just cracked with a doorstop and the window in there cracked for air circulation.
Quote:
I know some people on here wash their cats...I have never bathed MowMOw..first of all I'd be afraid he'd kill me in my sleep and second he's very clean and takes great care of himself. He always smells amazingly good and he doesn't go outside so he doesn't get dirty.
Quote:
4. If I get a cat now and then move in a few months, will that be a problem for the cat? Or do they adapt rather easily?
My ex husband and I moved from NJ to Oregon and since we've divorced I know he's moved at least 3 or 4 times and Anthony seems to have adjusted just fine to each new home.
Quote:
5. Once the cat gets to know me and we bond, will it be a problem if I'm not at home for 10+ hours at a time?
When I was working I would travel some days and be gone for 12/13 hours at a time and he was fine. Now that I'm home a majority of the time it would take him some getting used too, but I think he would adjust.
Quote:
Depends what I'm eating. If it's ice cream or cereal (with cold milk) I could never leave the plate unattended. If I scold him he flounces off and sits at a respectable distance and glares until I finish (so he can lick the dish).
Quote:
I try to trim them every other week but I often forget. When we're playing and his dew claw starts to scrape my skin I know it's time to trim him or he'll start to draw blood soon when we tussle. My guy sure doesn't LIKE it but he doesn't fuss. He lays still and makes pitiful noises while I trim his nails. WHen I'm done and let him go he just smooths all his ruffled fur and all is forgiven.
Quote:
I don't know as MowMow is my first own cat (the ex husbands was his, I never had anything to do with it but the occasional pat or hold). Personally, I'm glad I didn't get a kitten that was so young it needed litter training and specialized food on the other hand....kittens are so darned cute. If it were me, I wouldn't concentrate on age, breed, sex and would just visit cats at the shelter until one picks you.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
It happens, but it isn't an everyday thing. It really depends on the cat. One of my cats likes to attack (bite and claw) unexpectedly, of course this isn't normal... but you never know what kind of cat you're going to end up with. Some cats don't know how to play nice, either. That's a more common problem.

Quote:
One cat is outdoors all year, the other cat had two litter boxes until recently, for variation. One in the bathroom, one in the bedroom. If you have to put one it the bedroom, I'd suggest getting a litter box that has a lid and a locking flap on it, preventing the cat from scratching litter out and preventing kitty odors in the room. Cats can be very smelly sometimes. It might take the cat some getting used to walking into a litter box like that, though...

Quote:
Never wash a cat unless it needs it or unless you have allergies and find that bathing the cat helps you. A cat does not need to be bathed, and is self cleaning. Bathing a cat is stressful to the cat and to you.

Quote:
It depnds on the cat. Some cats take changes in stride, others may take weeks to adjust.

Quote:
Well, it depends on its personality. I'd try for a more laid back cat, and not a kitten as they're full of it and want to play a lot.

Quote:
Again it depends on the cat. Some cats are very food oriented and will walk into the fridge, others don't even walk in the kitchen. I'd say the cat will likely take an interest in your food but if you don't feed them at the table a typical cat will learn to ignore the food while your eat (but don't walk away from that steak if you don't want to find it on the floor!)...

Quote:
Again it depends on the cat, and if the cat has had nail trimming done from the time it was little. One of my cats howls like we're killing him when it happens, so I can't stand cutting them. The other cat is outdoors so I just let her do her thing, I don't trim them.

Quote:
I would say a cat. Some thing 1-2 years old or more where you can determine its personality, a kitten is full of it, but you don't know what they're going to grow up into at a young age.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 04-01-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Cool Cat

I've been scratched a lot by my cats accidentally, but never on purpose. The situations have been: either they start playing too rough, or grab at a toy I am holding with their claws but hit my hand instead, or are leaping across the room while playing and knick my leg or arm or whatever as they leap over/on/off me.

But like Mow said, as long as I keep their nails trimmed it's no issue.

I live in a fairly small condo, so my options are limited. Our bathrooms are too small to fit the litterboxes, and we didn't want to keep them in the bedroom or the computer room, so that just left the living room. We have two, each in corners across the room from each other. It used to be smelly in there whenever they did their business, but once I switched them to a better food, I've had no issues with that at all. So we don't mind having them in the main room.

Never. I've just never felt the need. I figure, they groom themselves, and they don't smell or look dirty. I sometimes wipe off Athena's face with a damp cloth when she gets eye goopies, but that's about it. I did used to have to wash her bottom/feet when she'd make soft messy droppings in the box, but again, that was a diet issue and now she doesn't have problems with that anymore.

This one I can't help you with as I've only had cats for about a year and never moved with them.

Depends on the cat. I have two very very social cats, and when I just had Apollo, he used to get lonely while I was at work, and would act out because of it. Once I got a second cat for him to play with, his behavior improved. As long as the cat has some way to entertain him or herself during the day, it should be fine. A mellow cat who is content to be alone probably just needs some toys and a scratching post to keep them occupied, but a more social/energetic cat could potentially need a buddy.

Depends on the cat again. Athena doesn't (sometimes she'll hop up and sniff my food and then just walk away), but Apollo does. Especially if I am eating anything containing cheese, butter, eggs, or milk. I scold him and clap loudly when he does this, which, ideally should discourage him, but he is a very stubborn cat. He's still under a year old so he probably just still needs more training.

I don't really have a set schedule. Once I notice they're getting long/sharp, or once they accidentally nick me with a claw, then I make note that it's time for a trim. It's not easy but not super difficult either. How easy or hard it is will probably depend on the cat, and the younger you get them used to it, the easier it'll be. I either do it myself when they're sleeping/being lazy, or I have my boyfriend hold one of them while I trim. They try to struggle a bit if it's taking a while, but aren't too uncooperative that it's not doable.

Totally up to you. It depends on what you're looking for. There are pros and cons to each option. An adult cat will have a defined personality at this point, so if you want a very specific personality, an adult may be a better choice.Kittensalso may require more training, although an adult cat set in their ways, who has already developed a bad behavior, could be difficult too. I went with kittens simply because I wanted the experience of training and raising them. I was also trying to overcome some previous unwarranted uneasiness about cats (my parents had kind of a mean rescued cat when I was growing up because her former owner had abused her), and figured kittens would help me learn to really love them (which it did). I agree with Mow that the right choice for you is really just whichever cat/kitten seems to appeal to you when you meet them.

Last edited by saitenyo; 04-01-2011 at 08:00 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Premier Cat

1. How many of you have been scratched by your cats? Is it a common thing for cats to scratch their owners? I read some stories about how a person turns over when they're sleeping and bumps the cat and the cat just freaks out! My two Devon Rex cats never scratch me, except accidentally.

2. Where do you guys put your litter boxes? Litter box is in basement level of our house in the Recreation Room.

3. How often do you wash the cat? Or is there even a need to give it a bath? My Devon Rexes get a bath on the hottest day of the year, otherwise no, they don't really need a bath. Longhair cats, generally speaking, need baths more often than shorthairs, as it helps to keep the coat from matting.

4. If I get a cat now and then move in a few months, will that be a problem for the cat? Or do they adapt rather easily? Cats like routine, and take a while to adjust to a new environment.

5. Once the cat gets to know me and we bond, will it be a problem if I'm not at home for 10+ hours at a time? YES! especially if it doesn't have a cat/dog friend to keep it company.

6. Do the cats jump into your food and try to eat your food? No, I never feed them while I'm eating at a table. If I'm having something to eat while on a sofa, they behave themselves, and sit quietly waiting for a tidbit.

7. How often do you trim your cat's nails and is it difficult? Every 3 wks. No, it's not difficult for me as they have had their nails clipped since when I first got them at 4 mos. old. They don't object as they know a treat's coming when it's finished.

8. Is it better to get a kitten or cat if you're a first time cat owner? Kitten, but educate yourself first on cat care, feeding, training. Get a good book on cat care beforehand.

IMHO, I think it would be better to get a kitty when you're more settled. None of your questions are "Silly", and hope you come back and ask some more.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Cat

I've only been scratched accidentally or if I make a really fast move away from them and the light is dim. They are predators and sometimes I trigger their response.

I live in a one bedroom condo with two cats. In order to keep the boxes out of sight of guests, I have them in the bedroom. I hung a curtain in front of them at about my hip level so I don't see them.

I don't bathe my cats on a regular basis. Homer has been bathed here once due to stress incontinence when going to the vet. They are naturally clean animals and have no odor.

I've never moved with a cat. I can't even take Homer in the car without a nervous breakdown. Him, not me. Raisin would be fine with anything.

Cats are diurnal. They are most active at dusk and dawn. Adult cats sleep up to 20 hours a day. Kittens are up several times a day, and go 90 MPH until they pass out again.

Fried chicken is irresistable to Raisin. But I can tell her to go away and she backs up a few feet. Like MowMow, she stares hopefully till she gets some, but doesn't intrude.

Two to three weeks is about the limit. I finally figured out to do it in the bathroom with the door closed and since they know they can't escape, I'm able to trim without much squirming.

I'd get an adult if I were you. Over two years old. I do Foster Care and I've had a lot of cats and kittens come through. Kittens need a lot of entertainment and exercise and if you aren't there to provide it, they will get into everything.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
There are times that I will be scratched by one of m kitties, but it is never out of anger, only because we are playing. As MowMow said, clean it up with some soap hot water and antibacterial, and your good to go.

Quote:
We have two cats so we have two boxes. Currently my hubby and I are staying at my parents house, in their garage/studio. We have the boxes on opposite sides of the room and as long as we scoop them twice a day, we have no problems with odor, even in a small enclosed space.

Quote:
Again as MowMow said, most members do not wash their cats unless it is absolutely necessary, cats are extreme neat freaks, and do a great job of grooming themselves. The only time we have ever had to bath either of our little loves, was when they were small kitties and they stepped in their own poop. Otherwise its better for the cat to not be bathed.

Quote:
This will depend entirely on the cat. For instance, my flamepoint, Rowdy, does not adjust well to new spaces. Our cats have free roam of our room, and the family room, but they are not allowed in the rest of the house because my sisters cat does not like them. Rowdy freaks out if we even try to take him into a room in the house he is unfamiliar with. Malley, our Tortie, on the other hand, is the dora the explora of kitties, and would not have a problem adjusting anywhere.

Quote:
Cats sleep about 18+ hours a day, so if you are planning to be gone a good portion of the day and only want one cat, you may want to look specifically at shelters for cats who would prefer to be an only cat. Just expect to give them plenty of attention when you get home.

Quote:
Our cats are pretty well behaved when it comes to our food. They may try to sneak a bite, but a simple shoo with the back of our hands and they wait patiently will we are ready to give them a bite.

Quote:
We trim our cats nails every other week. Rowdy doesn't mind us trimming his nails, Malley on the other hand does. So we wait till she is sleeping and quietly take care of it. No need to buy expensive animal nail clippers, regular clippers work just fine. Also make sure you are very careful not to trim their nails too short or you will hit the quip, which is very painful and they bleed alot.

Quote:
I say let the cat choose you, when you visit a shelter don't be close minded. You'll end up with the right cat.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Tom Cat

First of all, congratulations on your potential adoption! We (my husband and I) just adopted our two kittens (now 7 months old) 3 months ago exactly. We cannot imagine our lives without them!

It really says a lot that you are here, and I can tell that you want to give your cat the best life possible, which is terrific.

One thing I'd like to add is make sure you check into the pet policies at potential apartments or wherever you'll be living, because it can be expensive. Our apartment complex charges $500 for a deposit, and $25 per cat per month for rent. We live in an expensive area, but I'm pretty sure New Jersey is an expensive area as well. Just check into it first. Also, make sure you have plenty of pet-friendly places to choose from when you do move.

Here are my answers:

1. How many of you have been scratched by your cats? Is it a common thing for cats to scratch their owners?
We have not had one single problem with our kittens scratching or biting us or anyone else. They are both extremely well behaved. I have been scratched, but it's all been accidental (excited cat trying to leap out of my arms, etc.) I honestly believe it's all in how the cats were raised. Ours were hand raised (they were found in a dumpster the day they were born so they never knew their mother) by very responsible cat-savvy people, and I think their foster mom really made sure to teach them good manners. If you get a cat from a good rescue group or shelter, they should be able to give you a lot of insight into the cat's personality.

We only have one litter box at the moment. We live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so our only option is the area that I guess would be called the "dressing area" - we have one of those apts where the shower and toilet are in a room and the sink is in a different area. It's on carpet, so I got a big desktop plastic mat from Ikea to put under it that has been working wonders.

We never wash them. They wash themselves! And each other! But seriously, I really think the only reason you'd need to wash a cat is if it got into something, which is unlikely to happen if it is an indoor cat. Or if it had fleas or some other skin condition, which we haven't had to deal with yet.

I don't have direct experience with this. Other people would probably be able to give you a better idea. To my knowledge, some cats adapt easily, others don't. It's a personality thing.

I don't have direct experience with this, either. We got 2 kittens instead of just one partially because we knew we'd be gone a lot during the day, and we wanted them to have companionship. That's not necessary, though. A lot of cats are actually much happier being an "only cat." I think this is another personality thing, too!!

Our cats are VERY curious about anything we get out of the kitchen (probably because they assume it's ALL for them). We've had a couple issues where they get right up in our laps and sniff when we're eating on the couch or something, but they are usually really good about it. They might sit by and watch, but that's about it. Spencer actually refuses to eat ANY human food (even pieces of chicken breast or tuna - weird, I know), so even though he acts curious, I know he'll never try to eat anything. Lily can be whiny, but she's pretty polite. OH! But they WILL drink out of our glasses or cups if the water level is high enough! They especially go after milk. We NEVER let our cats have cow milk - it makes cats sick. They actually sell cat milk (not actually milk from cats, just lactose free with taurine) at Petco, so we give them that as a treat occasionally.

Not as often as we should, because yes, it is. It does depend on the personality of the cat. I'm glad you realize that it's important to trim them, because it definitely is! We try to trim them when we see that their nails are getting long (it's very visible on Lily because she's black and likes to splay her toes out a lot) or when their claws start snagging in things, or when they accidentally scratch us! I guess it probably should never even get to that point. Lily is VEEERRRRRYYYY WHINY when we trim hers - she struggles and cries after about the first 4 nails. Spencer just struggles. It's a two person job with us. But some cats are easier, I've heard, and if that doesn't work, you can get them trimmed for $10 some places!

Well. It depends. We are sort of first time cat owners - as in these are the first cats WE have owned, not our parents, and we got kittens. They were 4 months old when we brought them home. They are VERY ACTIVE, very curious, into everything. Some kittens are destructive - ours aren't, thankfully. They also eat A LOT - twice as much as an adult cat. (I was surprised by this, personally!) With an adult, you already know the personality better (just ask the rescue worker!), they are less active and demanding, and they eat less. Adults also have a harder time finding homes than kittens. The rescue group we got our kittens from has a lot of mothers (since they tend to rescue litters of kittens with the mother). The mothers are only a year or 2 old, if that, but they take MUCH longer to get adopted than their babies, and they're not even old at all! Next time, we're going to get an adult. Not that we regret getting our little balls of energy for one minute!

Spencer and Katie
and Lily, always in our hearts
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdaisies View Post
Our apartment complex charges $500 for a deposit, and $25 per cat per month for rent.
Whoa! That's expensive. I live in an expensive area but I've never heard of laws like that where I live, I asked my father and he hasn't either. Is that a standard practice in some places, not just your building? I've heard of animals not being allowed in some locations and I've heard of needing to apply and be approved for owning an animal in your building before getting one but never paying a deposit or rent on pets! What a cash grab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdaisies View Post
you can get them trimmed for $10 some places!
My vet throws it in for free on visits, and it can be done on donation at any other time as well. However, taking a cat somewhere just to get their nails clipped seems pretty extreme to me, and stressful for the cat.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 04-01-2011 at 10:15 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
Whoa! That's expensive. I live in an expensive area but I've never heard of laws like that where I live, I asked my father and he hasn't either. Is that a standard practice in some places, not just your building? I've heard of animals not being allowed in some locations and I've heard of needing to apply and be approved for owning an animal in your building before getting one but never paying a deposit or rent on pets! What a cash grab!
This is extremely common in southern Ca, at least in Long Beach/Lakewood area. Most places will require an additional deposit on pets plus up the rent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page