Introductions can be so dull - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Introductions can be so dull

Hi, I'm new. I never know what to say after that... I'm Lauren, and I've been in love with cats all my life. My family are primarily dog people, so I was never able to have one.

I'm finally living in an apartment, so I'm hoping to get a kitten sometime late spring or early summer. I've really been taken with the ragdoll breed, but I'm trying to keep and open mind. Petfinder is addictive.

I guess it's important to mention that I'm also totally blind. I've gotten interesting reception to this on other cat forums (I was once told to stick with a 'well trained dog' - never mind that I don't own a dog - rather than a cat).

I had one brief question. If I do purchase from a breeder, would you advise disclosing my disability sooner than later? I don't want it to seem like I'm withholding, but I also don't want her to react on preconceived notions. This is probably the wrong place to be asking this, and I'm probably coming off a little paranoid.

Thanks for being such a great resource.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Cat Addict

Hello!

I am not sure why being blind would not make you a good cat companion.

Most cats are intelligent enough to be exactly where you can find them, when they want to be found.. usually directly underfoot.

I agree RagDolls are beautiful and ohhh. so snuggly.

My cats sometimes try to sneak out. every once in awhile, so mainly I would advice micro chipping.. "just in case"

Other then that I would not let anyone tell you that its a bad idea just because you are blind.

Rebecca
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotanyBlack View Post
I am not sure why being blind would not make you a good cat companion.

Most cats are intelligent enough to be exactly where you can find them, when they want to be found.. usually directly underfoot.

I agree RagDolls are beautiful and ohhh. so snuggly.

My cats sometimes try to sneak out. every once in awhile, so mainly I would advice micro chipping.. "just in case"

Other then that I would not let anyone tell you that its a bad idea just because you are blind.

Rebecca
Oh look, this thread showed up after all, now I have 2. Oops. Thanks for your advice. I completely agree, I was just a little taken aback by the initial negative response I got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Jr. Cat

I hope you find a great kitty. You also might want to check the local rescue groups, many times they know the personality of the cats they have in rescue and could match you up with one that fits you (if you are looking for a lap kitty or would rather have one that is self sufficient, etc.).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Tom Cat

First of all welcome to the board!!! I hope that you find all the answers you need here! You'll soon learn that this is the best forum on the internet filled with some of the most helpful people!

As for your situation, I can't see why a person would deny you the opportunity to bring home a kitty because you are blind. I mean, you are in your own apartment, so you must be able to take care of yourself. Keep us posted on your progress, and remember to be openminded when it comes to picking out a kitty. Most of the time they will pick you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Premier Cat

Hi! I would disclose your blindness when you feel comfortable doing so. If you do so early and you find people react to preconceived notions, then perhaps delay disclosing the next time. I would have thought if the breeder or rescue/shelter saw you interacting with the cat/kitten and realized you had no difficulties, he or she shouldn't have a problem adopting to you.

I have two cats: Muffs is a purebred Ragdoll and Abby is a Ragdoll/Persian mix. The Ragdoll is a very laid-back, gentle breed, although not necessarily a lap-cat...in fact, most Ragdolls are not lap-cats, despite what the books say. But I adore my two.

My father is blind, although he has only been so for the past few years (age-related) and he's still not accustomed to being unable to see. When he's around, my cats know to stay out from underfoot and give him a very wide berth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page