I'm in love with a boy called Roger. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cool I'm in love with a boy called Roger.

And here he is!

My name is Jack and I am a new cat-man. I haven't had a cat since my 3-legged ginger Twix, who passed away when I was about 8.

My girlfriend is a long-time cat lover and has been pestering me to get a cat for ages. I had been putting it off for as long as possible because we have 2 pet rats, but I have now been forced to give in.

So over the last 2 weeks we've been meeting and greeting cats in the local shelter, when we finally came across Roger. He... how can I put this... He stood out from the crowd. He is ENORMOUS. Quite possibly the longest cat in the history of catkind. If you stretched him out he'd be about a yard and a half long! On top of this loooong body sits a tiny tiny head!

He has been abandoned twice, by different owners, at six months and at one year. He then spent a year on the streets learning his hip style, and now, at the playful age of two, he has finally found his real home.

We brought him home yesterday, and gave him about two hours in our bedroom, a few play interruptions later and he was positively straining his long neck to look around the door beyond is as we walked in.

So we opened up the house bit by bit. First the bathroom and stairs, then the hall and kitchen. He was cautious but so inquisitive. I talked him through it every time he retreated back up the stairs at the various sounds of my girlfriend cooking in the kitchen. When he finally got the balls to go through the kitchen door, she rewarded him with a tasty cube of turkey. Needless to say, he didn't need much courage next time he wanted to explore the kitchen.

Last night we went to bed with him still in the bedroom. My girlfriend, silly girl, made the mistake of playing with his feather wand! As we tried to sleep, it was rasp, rasp, rasp.... meow.. meaow? BANG....... rasp, rasp, rasp..

He came and sat on our heads, faces, and chests. He clawed us, chewed us, hugged us, talked to us, everything he could do to these two sleeping humans!

This morning, as I write this, our new cat is upstairs staring out the bedroom window, guarding the garden.

I am in the living room, with the door closed.

Behind me is my giant rat cage, with two very active, inquisitive pet rats.

Today the living room door has to open.

I think I'm afraid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Senior Cat

I have heard of rats and cats getting along in the past.
Good luck!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Cat

Want more pics. He's a cutie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks Darkcat! He's a sweetie but is still quite nervous. He's playing with a tinfoil ball at the moment, our rule is no rat-shaped toys! I'll post more pics when I have privileges.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Kitten

I can tell you that in the past we had several mice and they were indifferent to the cats. Obviously the cats liked to sit and watch the mice, but we made sure that the cats couldn't get into the mouse tank.

Two of my friends currently have rats and cats and they both said the same thing, that the rats didn't care about the cats at all.

Hope it goes as well for you
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Jr. Cat

Hi. Roger is very handsome! My 11 year old really wants a rat too. We have a Critter Nation cage we got for chinchillas, who have passed. Keep us posted, if all goes well, I may give in and get her a rat out ferret. Welcome.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Cool Cat

I love that face! Definitely post more pics - if he's that big we all want to see!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks all! We think we'll give him another day to relax before introduction to the little ratties. I will let you all know how it goes, and will post pics when I have sufficient privileges, I'm only a kitten! .

Livismom, not sure yet how they'll react to each other, but I can tell you that rats in themselves are really wonderful pets to have, and are the smartest of all rodents. My cousin has a ferret called Eric, friendly enough, but not good with her other animals. That's only him though, can't speak for all ferrets!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
...When he finally got the balls to go through the kitchen door...
You really need to get those things cut off!

Thanks for giving him a good home. He sounds like quite a character. You can even see in his face that he's going to be loads of fun.

Keep us updated on his exploits and post more pictures. We demand it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Premier Cat

What a sweet face on Roger! I know exactly what you mean about being in love with him . . . I think that's how we all feel. It's kind of a hard-to-get thing on their part.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page