Every Cat Has A Story - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Every Cat Has A Story

Hello everyone, and greetings from Michigan! I have been lurking these forums for quite a while now, and I finally decided it was time to join this wonderful community of fellow cat lovers.

Forgive me for the lengthy text, but I would love to share my story with you.

16 years ago, my dad and I adopted a precious brown tabby from the humane society. This is where my love for cats began. As I grew, so did that little kitten. He is now a huge cat named Max who, just three years ago, accepted a fuzzy orange guy into his life - and his kingdom. The orange cat is named Thor, and him and Max are currently enjoying the retired life with my dad in Florida. They are total bros. My dad included.

I, however, still live in Michigan, and just last year, I suffered terrible heartache when I had to put my sweet cat Ivy to sleep. She was an adorable black and white cat who found me while she was living as a stray. When I first met her she was painfully skinny, her fur was full of mats, and her eyes were glazed over from her obvious hunger. I tried to coax her into eating, but all she wanted was to lay in my lap and gently purr while I stroked her tiny body. I knew from that moment I would do anything for her. I desperately tried to find her owner. But with no microchip, no lost postings for her, and nothing to go on, it was assumed by the vet that she was likely abandoned. With some help from my family, I was able to take her in as my cat, and over the next several months, she slowly put on some weight and began to look healthy. It was obvious that she enjoyed her status as princess kitty of the house, and I loved to spoil her. She was a sweetheart to everyone, but we had a special connection. When a cat chooses you as their human, it is truly something to be cherished. She always made me feel so special when she would lay next to me and put her paw on my hand. One day, she started throwing up, and it kept getting worse. After several vet visits, it was concluded that she was a very sick little kitty. She was never diagnosed, but all of her symptoms and excessive blood work pointed to intestinal lymphoma. I didn't expect myself to get emotional while writing this, but since I am, I won't go into any further detail. On our final day together, I gave Ivy the gift of peace, and it helps me to think that the last part of her life was spent with a family that loved her dearly.

RIP my sweet Ivy.

A few months after Ivy's passing, I found myself at an animal control center. They had a room full of cats, and all of them had ID numbers instead of names. Beneath the ID numbers were the dates they were available for adoption followed by the dates they would be euthanized. This broke my heart, so I tried to give every cat attention. While I was visiting with the older cats, I heard a little high-pitched "mew" behind me. I turned around and a very small calico kitten was looking at me with heart-melting gold eyes and a dainty white paw reaching in my direction. Needless to say, that was that. The beautiful little girl had clearly chosen me, so I took her home, named her Madelyn, and now she is laying on my chest as I write this post.

Madelyn had been brought to the pound with her mother, her two sisters, and her brother. I had a chance to see all of them, and the volunteer told me how much she loved her little brother. Before I got there, they had been in one cage together. If they weren't playing or grooming each each other, then they were all snuggled up together like little lovebugs. Someone ended up adopting her brother right after I left, and although I was happy he got a home, I really wished I could have kept them together.

Two months later, while looking for a companion for Miss Madelyn, I came across a post on craigslist with the title "Poor Tom." I clicked on it and there was Madelyn's brother. Apparently he had been returned to animal control due to "no fault of his own," and now he needed a new forever home. This wasn't coincidence, this was destiny. Then very next morning I drove to animal control and adopted him on the spot. The staff told me the lady who had previously adopted him had a severe stroke and had to be put into a nursing home. Her son had to bring the kitten back, because there was no way he could be properly cared for. I was sorry to hear this, but everyone was thrilled that Tom was going home to be with his sister.

I now have two wonderful cats that get along famously. They are snugglebutts, partners in crime, playmates, grooming buddies, and amazing companions for not only each other but for me as well! I am greeted by face rubs, cheek licks, and nose paws every morning, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Madelyn

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

What a wonderful, heartwarming story!!

I'm so sorry about Ivy, but it sounds like she found the purrfect person to spend her short life with.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum! That was a great story. Sorry to hear about Ivy. She was precious. and the current cats are cute too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you so much for your kind words about Ivy. She will always be in my heart. And since I got a black and white kitty pillow pet, (which I put her red collar on), she will always be in my bed!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome to the Forum! I'm so sorry to hear about Ivy. She was lovely and it sounds like she had a personality to match. Your story about Madelyn and Tom was remarkable...clearly they were meant to stay together.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Jr. Cat

Hi and welcome. What an amazing story. I'm so sorry about Ivy. I have a somewhat simular story about my dad and his brother. My grandparents adopted my dad and then a few weeks later his younger brother was taken from the family. So luckily they called my grandparents and asked if they would adopt my uncle as well. Funny how fate works.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Jr. Cat

I am so sorry to hear about Ivy I know about the pain the loss of a treasured cat can cause, it's something most people you meet can't even begin to understand. I'm not religious but I quietly pray that at the end of our lives our beloved pets will be there waiting to greet us. It gives me hope

You have a truly heartwarming story. It is so amazing. I'm very glad to hear that Madelyn and Tom have been reunited and seem destined to have been together.

The last kitten I rescued from a shelter had a sister I fell in love with. I sat there for two hours feeling my heart tear in two as I tried to work out which of the two I should take home. I would have taken both in a heartbeat if I lived in my own house, but I live with my mother and it had taken months of begging just to be allowed the one. It's been 3 months now and I still think about that little girl all the time. You've implanted the seed of hope that perhaps one day I might find her again and all will be as it should have been So glad you, Madelyn and Tom's paths were able to intertwine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page