New Guy With A Huge Problem! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

New Guy With A Huge Problem!

Hi. Glad to find some people who might have a little more knowledge than my local pet store owner.

I have a 19lb black cat. he's the best cat i've ever owned. He loves attention, cuddling, and being around people. He's always been good with his litter for the past 6.5 years i've had him......until recently.

I assume it's because of the change in environment (because i had a child 1 year ago) but my cat now decides one day he's going to use the litter and the next....well....he's not. Lucky for me his litter is in the basement and when he decides not to use his litter it's on the basement floor rather than anywhere else in my home.

BUT....i'm coming to my wits end. For months i've tried training him, rewarding him, scolding him....to always use the litter box....and the only constant thing that he does is pick and choose randomly when he's going to use the litter and when he's not.

Obviously i'm not getting rid of my baby girl. So the cat doesn't have leverage in this battle. If i can't figure out a solution for this soon i'm going to give him up for adoption because as much as i love him i refuse to pick up cat pee and poop every day for the next 10 years.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Kitten

Don't give up your boy! Try using a few more litter boxes. Also, I've had luck using a litter called Cat Attract (Pet Supermarket carries it, if not...ask them). Have you had him checked for urinary crystals? He may be having pain. A change in diet would alleviate that. A good book to buy is "Cat Wrangling Made Easy."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Jr. Cat

The very first thing you need to do is take him to the vet. Urination issues that seem to have cropped up out of nowhere can very often be warning signs of illness, and these can often be very serious by the time your cat is demonstrating different behavior.

You say that you had a baby a year ago - did the behavior start around that time? With a little more information we may be able to help more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Senior Cat

Are you scooping the litter at least once, preferably twice a day? Have you tried setting up a couple more litter boxes? Or taking him to the vet?

Also, if he is 19lbs, he is probably overweight and that doesn't help the situation..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with those who have suggested your first step is a vet visit. Inappropriate litter box usage is a common first sign of a UTI (urinary tract infection), and UTI's are relatively common, particularly in male cats and particularly if he's fed dry food. If, following a vet visit, it turns out that he does not have a UTI (or other medical issue), then post again and we can look at other potential reasons and solutions. But I would first rule out a UTI or other medical cause.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadia View Post
The very first thing you need to do is take him to the vet. Urination issues that seem to have cropped up out of nowhere can very often be warning signs of illness, and these can often be very serious by the time your cat is demonstrating different behavior.

You say that you had a baby a year ago - did the behavior start around that time? With a little more information we may be able to help more
The behavior started when the baby came and as she became more mobile through the house it got worse. I am very inclined to think it's behavioral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaMuffin View Post
Are you scooping the litter at least once, preferably twice a day? Have you tried setting up a couple more litter boxes? Or taking him to the vet?

Also, if he is 19lbs, he is probably overweight and that doesn't help the situation..

The cat litter is being scooped every night and keep in mind he has 2 litter boxes next to one another. Neither one ever gets more than 1-3 uses per day.

he is seeing the vet tomorrow morning but truthfully i know what he's going to say. It's behavioral. he's going to recommend i put him outside which i can't bring myself to do.

This is no fun.

Thanks for the feedback and advice.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry, I misunderstood when you said the problem started recently. If it began when your baby was born then it's been about a year now...so it quite likely isn't medical (although it doesn't hurt to check that out). Have you tried a product called Feliway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page