What? respiratory question.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

What? respiratory question....

We live on an acreage and have allot of outside cats and a few inside ones as well. I dont mind cats; but my wife is crazy about them and I mean crazy- We seem to have some sort of a respiratory thing going on with the outside cats tho- sometimes one will get a little weezy and sneeze and a glob of green crud comes from their noze and flies wherever- groses the heck out of me. My wife shoves a yellow pill in them for a couple days and it seems to clear up and then sometimes they get it from another cat or it returns again. I am looking to a.) figure out what it is and b.) how can it be treated to get rid of it? Thanks for any help- The meds she gives could be like 10 mg climamox maybe- I could find out for sure if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:21 AM
Cat Addict

There are several nasty viral upper respiratory diseases that cats can get that they either pass back and forth or it lays dormant and then comes back again later.

Feline Herpes virus, characterized by watery or goopy eye discharge and sneezing with nasal discharge.
Feline Calici virus Similar to above, but cat also develops ulcers in the mouth and will drool and be reluctant to eat.
Feline Bordatella eye discharge, sneezing, coughing.
Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis. Similar to above.

The thing is there is no way to know which virus is causing this but to swab the eye/nose and send to lab for testing. Probably not possible in your situation.

Fortunately, it doesn't REALLY matter which virus is causing this, because you treat them all the same way. You want to treat symptoms (like drainage or congestion) and any secondary infections that may crop up, but typically antibiotics are not effective and serve no purpose. The best thing your wife can do is put all the cats on a lysine supplement every day. This will build up their immune system to keep flares to a minimum. If I remember correctly, the recommended daily dose for an adult cat is 275 mg. per day, double that if they are in an active flare.
I know you can buy supplements made just for cats, or just buy L-Lysine OTC at a health food store and mix it with canned food or tuna to get it down them every day.

Hope this helps.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page