She's a beauty! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

She's a beauty!

I am mama to a one-year old Siamese cat who arrived on my doorstep, came in and took over . . . . she hasn't changed, I've changed a lot. This is my first kitty and I have a lot to learn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Yes, you are now owned. Can't wait to see pictures!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you, Marie. Your Cinderella is the mirror image of my Tinkerbell.

Did you ever have problems with aggressive behavior with your cats? Tinker's ears go back and she attacks! She can be sitting on my lap, purring, getting petted, and then here come the teeth and claws. I am scratched and bitten from my feet to my shoulders, and she got me in the eye Thursday night.

Most of the time she's wonderful, but this behavior is more and more prevalent and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid of her at times. Any suggestions? I've tried spraying her with water, isolating her in a bedroom (short time periods), slamming a wooden spoon down on my counter, and anything else anyone has suggested. A couple people actually said to spank her, but I just can't do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm having some big problems with Tinkerbell and am hoping someone can offer some advice. She scratches and bites -- a lot! Sometimes she jumps in my lap and wants to be petted and cuddled, but she can turn on a dime. My feet, ankles, arms and hands are a mass of bite and scratch marks. Thursday night she got my eye. Her ears go back, her tail does this funky dance, and sometimes I'm not fast enough to get away from her. I'm really afraid of her sometimes. I don't know what to do.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

I've had major issues with Gigi attacking the twins for the past year. My house is split in half because of it. But with me? Never. That would break my heart. Hopefully, you'll find some good advice with members who have experience in that area.

You're right, never, ever physically discipline a cat.

What's Tinkerbell's background? I know people will ask how old she was when you adopted her, how long you have had her, etc.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum! I would like to see pictures of your cat. She sounds interesting.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

If you look at the picture of Marie's Cinderella, that is EXACTLY what Tinkerbell looks like. I'm sorry, I don't know how to post pictures on this site.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Tinkerbell arrived in my backyard one day last July. I saw her but left her alone because she was so tiny, I was sure her mama would come and get her. Mama never came back (I assume she got here with mama). I took her to the vet to find out about cats and my vet told me she was about four weeks old, too young to begin her shots, so I took her back a month later. They did a feline leukemia test to be sure she didn't have it because she was a 'stray,' and it came back positive. We did another one two months later and it was positive, also. She has never had a sick day! She wasn't aggressive at first, but the last three or four months it has gotten consistently worse behavior. I just don't know what to do.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome! I've never had to deal with a cat that scratches and bites, so I might not be of much help. However, I do know that some cats can get upset after being petted for a while, which might be the case for Tinkerbell. It's referred to as petting-induced aggression (which you can google). If she's only biting and scratching after you've been petting her for a while as opposed to at other times (that's not clear from your posts), then I would tend to limit the petting times. After she's been in your lap for a few minutes, put her down again and give her a treat or distract her with a toy...but don't let her stay long enough to get aggravated. If that doesn't work, or if she's also scratching and biting at random times, I would speak to your vet. It's possible the behavior could have a medical cause and, if it doesn't, perhaps your vet can recommend something to calm her down. I wish you luck.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Tinkerbell bites even when I'm in bed at night (she has really torn me up a couple times). She will be lying on 'her' side of the bed and all at once the ears go back and she attacks. I'm not even touching her! I only pet her when she jumps into my lap, I never pick her up. Someone told me that could be the problem, so I quit doing it. I've decided to call my vet tomorrow and talk to her or take her in, whatever they decide I should do. Thanks to all of you who have responded, and I'll check in a few times today to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

On another matter, why can't I get on to any of the other threads, such as Cat Chat or Behavior? Is it because I chose the "Free" option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page