Soon to be cat owner - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Soon to be cat owner

I will be getting a kitten in about 2 months, wanted to get more info on what supplies to get and how to prepare for the kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum! There are many great people that can help you with kittens. Some have 20 years of experience with cats. lol I would like to see pictures.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Jr. Cat

Hi and welcome. There are wonderful people here. Very wise and patient. Definitely get scratching posts and a cat tree!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by livismom View Post
Hi and welcome. There are wonderful people here. Very wise and patient. Definitely get scratching posts and a cat tree!
THANKS! I was going to get those items, as I read that helps cats from scratching furniture and other non-desirable things.

I will NOT de-claw my cat( I read up on it). Is it possible to trim their nails in order to keep them from tearing up things? How often can it be done?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Premier Cat

Hi and congratulations on your soon-to-be-kitty. Let's see now...the necessities include a litter box and litter, a litter scoop, feeding/water bowls, food (wet is preferable to dry), a cat carrier, a comb/brush for grooming, one or more scratching posts and a few toys. I agree with livismom, a cat tree is also a good thing to have. My cats have quite a few and they're on them all the time, either playing or sleeping. The trees have built-in scratchers and my girls only ever scratch their posts, not my furniture or walls...so, a good investment!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Kitten

Hello! I remember when I was anticipating getting my first kitten. I'm so excited for you and hope to see pictures!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

With a kitten, I know it's best to let them roam around supervised, but at night should they be placed into a pen so as to not roam around and get into trouble?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

They should be supervised at first, but no, I wouldn't crate him at night. You might want to confine him to one room for a while. Your house should be kitty-proofed for any time of the day. However, my brats went to bed in their bedroom for the first three years because they were too wild and noisy to leave out. They didn't mind, it was all they knew and they had each other.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Jr. Cat

I still have the kittens confined to one room. It's been a few weeks but they are so small yet (and destructive lol). I have an old house and so many nooks and crannies they can get into. That and the main floor is very open. Doors only to the outside, so they would have too much freedom. With me gone 11 + hours a day, I'm too worried they would get stuck or something.

With the nails, I'm going to have the vet trim them. I'm too chicken. I had a dog once that I attempted to trim his nails and ended cutting into the quick. Not pretty.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Tom Cat

Just remember, you are not a cat "owner". Your are a cat "staffer". As your kitten gets older, you will be instructed, however subtly, your status, and what services you will be expected to provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page